Vouchers How long before they expire?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Edugeek.net Russdev, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Edugeek.net Russdev

Edugeek.net Russdev Bit Poster

If we take bog standard voucher and not one going cheap as expire date is soon. How long on average do you have before they have to be used.

As for various reasons might have to buy vouchers in advance as work is paying them. Thinking of doing MCSA (with A+/N+ as electives etc) trying to aim to get the mcsa over next 12 months (I have worked in IT nearly 10 years so should be ok).

Just worried that they will run out before I have chance to use them etc..

Regards

Russell

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They normally last around a year, why not just buy one or two at a time and claim them on expenses throughout the year ?

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The standard exam voucher normally has a shelf life of 12 months. One thing to consider, that if you buy the exam vouchers you will not be able to use the 2nd free shot that is currently being offered by MS.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Kens got an excellent point, if you're not paying why not just pay full price on day of booking and use second shot promotion ?

When I last checked the discounts available for UK residents on M$ exams by using vouchers seemed pretty minimal.

The voucher systems seem largely designed for the US market.

5. Edugeek.net Russdev

True a very good point but problem I may have through is that I work in a school and they might be looking to get the money spent before 1st april next year (schools are only allowed % surplus each year and if go over that the Local authority claws it back).

Where are standard prices for Microsoft exams (and A+/N+ for that matter)?

Russell

6. Edugeek.net Russdev

p.s

Just edited my OP as of course i meant MCSA not MCSE :)

Russ

7. Kitkatninja

Each voucher, if bought directly from MS, is £88 (Prometric does not charge VAT). If you can sway it, see if either:

1. You can purchase the exams directly from Prometric (& schedule it online) and then get reimbursed that way you can apply the free second shot voucher or

2. If your school has a credit card, get them to pay for the exams directly from Prometric & schedule it then (with you there), so that again you can apply the free 2nd shot voucher.

Make sure that you get the free second shot voucher code (each exam booked needs it's own number) before you book the exam as the 2ns shot vouchers can not be applied afterwards.

I've done it like that before at my place.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. Kitkatninja

CompTIA A+ Essentials (2007 Edition) Exam: £114
    2nd A+ exam regardless of which one: £114

CompTIA Network+ (2007 Edition) Exam: £169
    Jobs+/E2C Network+ Certification: £84 (This is only if you're on a E2C or training scheme, etc)

Hope this helps

-Ken

9. Edugeek.net Russdev

Thanks for the help all interesting just looking at job+/e2c does not apply to me but until day hadn't heard of them very interesting...

Russell