Vodafone again

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zxspectrum, Jan 26, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

These ot are really taking the mickey now. Apparently im on an unlimted internet tarif, which i kept from my old contract, i even rang to cheack that this was the case before i bothered to upgrade, as i knew that phone companies were getting tight with there data allowances. Well i was assured tha as long as i did fair useage etc, then id be ok, although how they can determine fair usage ill never know.

Its not like im on you tube 24/7. Anyway i looked at my bill and over 2 months i did 2.5 gb data, so is that unfair usage, apparently so. Well anyway, my unlimted internet is.... and wait for this....... unlimted up to 500 mb, so really its not unlimted, its limited. 500mb works out about 16 mb per day, i dont know what the average page is.

Ive managed t get them to drop the extra charge they put on my bill, and he then told me that im unlimted, but with a 500mb limit.

Anyway ive written to customer services, telling hem i have been mis sold a contract and that i want my line rental reducing accordingly. I really ant see them doing this how ever. I know they are part of some group, ill write to them as its not the first time ive had trouble with these.

Just wondering if anyonw has an 'unlimited' data tarif thats limited to 500 mb, and was you informed of this when you upgraded your contract.

I might say to them ill pay my line rental of an unlimted amount, but im going t limit you to £5 per month. I bet they will change their tune then.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dude, I’ve punted loads of phones at work on various tariffs from different providers and I still haven’t seen a “proper” unlimited data tariff. Especially when all providers cracked down on this a while back.

This is why I mentioned this last time when you said you had unlimited data as the fair use policy will generally catch up with you in the end.

Did they text you when you went over 500MB?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm on a 500MB limit, and I have yet to breach it even once. In fact, I have received a total of 633MB since I last reset the phone (Months ago). It helps to be clever, and hook up to every wifi point you can get access to. That way, all your traffic is over wifi, not 3G.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yep I'm 500MB too, although BM seem's to be more trusting of public wifi (sidejacking) than me ;) I've never gone over the limit to my knowledge and I've downloaded stuff from audible other bits n bob's so your doing pretty well to be using 2.5Gigs.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

Hey spectrum,
    I work in mobile phones and the companies are getting a lot better now at advertising what the limit is (usually between 250mb and 1GB). I know thats no use to you when they just said unlimited internet which it never was. The fair use policy always has applied (and is the common practice) but varies from provider to provider.

Just thought i would let everyone know i'm with T-mobile and with £10 top up on Pay as you go get the "unlimited internet" for free, which has of course fair use policy of 1GB. (i never use anywhere close to this)

But when i moved house at the start of December i had no internet at home for like 3 weeks, I tethered my phone to my laptop and just used my free unlimited internet. I was aware after 1GB it might slow me to a crawl, but it never happened. I used at least 3GB of data, and the speed remained good. And no further charges were added at next top up or anything.

In you case as you got unlimited internet you should have the same thing. The rate is CAPPED but if you exceed the fair use they should just throttle your connection back... (obviously you would need to read your fine print, but i agree that they have mis sold the product if they want to charge extra)

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  6. zxspectrum

Well the only reson i used that much is because i was in hospital, i watched i player and some films so thats why i went over so to speak. But they dont charge me for that, they charge me after for looking at a site or something else that took 2.8 meg. As for the limits, i knew they were all cracking down, but i spoke to them before i upgraded and asked about this and the bloke said if i stayed with them and upgraded, that my data usage would be unlimited, he did not say at all, unlimited with a 500 mb cap, because thats limited. I understand fair usage as well, basically its saying dont take nthe piss.

I feel they have mis sold me the contract here, i mean surely nothing can be unlimited if its capped. As for wifi hotsp[os i wasnt in range of them, being on the 9th floor of a hosptial, and plus i really aint too sure about going on them when im out.

Anyway ive mailed them to complain, but as with vodafone customer services, i dare say some how they will make it my fault.

Ed

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

*Cough* BM?

I am lucky enough that the bulk of my data communication takes place either in the office or at home. But I'm happy enough to sign up to free wifi on places like trains, etc. Ultimately though, you just be careful what it is you log onto.

Streaming things from youtube isnt going to cause any issues, but logging into your bank account might.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

oops whata mistaka to makea, that'll teach me for speed reading forums!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Must be the black-and-white Calvin avatar. hah! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No its because your handle is screen burnt into my monitor

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I tend to leave an impression on people. And things. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. zxspectrum

Well, a bit of an update.

I talked to vodafones customer services again, and they still state that im on unlimited internet with a 500mb limt. They then said i should complain by email. So ive done that and i didnt get a reply, i know its only a few days, but im getting rather impatient with them to be honest. I said to them as they have mis sold me a contract that there should be some line rental reduction.

Anyway as of yet ive had no reply. So ive cancelled my direct debit and emailed them to tell them why, and that if its not sorted out with in a week then they can shove thier contract. So i was looking at sim only deals and got a free sim with three , i pay 15 pm, £20 less than what im paying now, ill get 300 mins, any time mins, 3000 texts and 1gb internet.

As its only a sim only deal im not tied down in case vodafone sort themselves out. As for my credit rating being affected, its rubbish already, i know that much as i didn an experian 30 day trial thing a few months back.

Ed

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. zxspectrum

Cheers for that sparky.

That tells me im allowed 5gb under fair use. Thats not my gripe, my gripe is that they said, i was on the same unlimited data package with fair useage, which would be 5gb, but then tell me im on unlimited data to the tune of 500mb per month.

That would be roughly 170 MB per day for a 5gb allowance, as opposed to 16mb perday under their Limited unlimited' data plan.

I only used 2.5 gig over 2 months as well, so id easily be under the fair usage policy. That will come in handy for when they ring me after they realise they aint getting anythjing from me till they sort this out.

Ed

15. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

This was main area i checked before buying my contract.

I'm on an 'unlimited ' tariff with t-mobile on my Android phone, this gives me 3gb data and limits speeds if I go over. I'm never charged any more. This was the beat deal I could find on data

They all have this fair usage ploy apparently because they have a problem with people say, using phones as an internet connection for their main pc.

It's all very sneaking and you need to ask about fair usage before you take the contract.
    They used to do the same with texts, (may still be the case) unlimited really means 3000

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  16. zxspectrum

Well, i wrote to vodafone a few times and guess what i got no reply, but i was getting texts from them saying my DD had been refused, thats because i cancelled it. I didnt really want to have the hassle of changing numbers so, i rang them up before and they agreed to let me off the excess charges, which was and extra £25 quid.

The woman on the phone was rather more helpful than the last dimwit, who when you gave a bit of technical information, just seemed to go blank, shejust got her manager and then said that they are sorry about the misleading of the contract and offered me another 500mb per month for nothing. So im happy with that really, and i dont have to mess about with three, as i put their sim card in miy phone and i was only getting one bar on the signal strength lol.

Ed