VMware Workstation 9

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by jvanassen, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Just a simple to the point forum post to maybe help people in future who want to start doing a bit of virtual labbing.

My task for myself at the moment has been to learn Exchange, I set myself up a lab in VirtualBox and found the experience not very nice, kept coming across problems, time it took to boot the servers up when i just quickly wanted to try something out, lagging etc among other things. I ended up giving up on this in the end and hadn't done anything for about a month.

I have set myself a new environment using VMware Workstation 9 and have got to say the experience is 100% better. I can boot both my Domain & Exchange servers up and there running very quickly. No lagging and overall a very nice experience and its giving me the motivation to crack on and lab loads. Just really impressed with how much of a better experience im having with VMware Workstation.

I know that the experience you have on virtual machines is also down to hardware and other factors but for the way ive got mine configured & my hardware, the experience in VMware has been awesome.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would add that for those unable or unwilling to purchase VMware Workstation to also have a look at VMware Player, a decent offering from VMware that does a lot of what most people would require.

Alternatively you could always just have another machine running VMware vSphere Hypervisor (what used to be called ESXi Free) and play with full on virtualisation instead.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA