VMWARE VCP-310 Prep Advice

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by MrGadget, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MrGadget

MrGadget Bit Poster

Hi,

I've finally managed to have some spare time and am taking the plunge doing the VCP-310 certification and planning on the doing the exam on 15th June.

I attended the 5 Day Fast Track back in Dec. We didnt get the funding at work to setup VmWare so i've not had much exposure to it other than evaluating it using some spare servers and the course material.

I've been through all the course material again and going through it again but what else should i go through in preparation for the exam.

People mentioned the all important Configuration Maximums for VI3 but what else?

TIA

Certifications: BSc Hons Comp Sci (2:1), VMWare VCP-310
    WIP: VMWARE VCP-410
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You're in the right direction considering you've been on a training hands on course as well as setup a test environment in your spare time. I personally have sat this exam but have setup a test server running VMWare Server on a windows 2003 enterprise environment.

I suppose you can get some practice exam test like transcender if they do any in those. Best wishes and keep on keeping on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I bought this book some time ago and its great book very well written, may well help you do some last minute swatting.

Might have a few spare pennies myself soon to go on a vcp course I hear vcp's look very shiny on cv's! ;-)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. MrGadget

MrGadget Bit Poster

since many people don't post about them passing, i searched for failed vpc exam and found this link :

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/207796

Taken from there:

"I read the entire Resource Management Guide, The SAN Management Guide, The Install and Configure Guide, VCB Documentation, Coverter Enterprise Documentation, and a document I found on VMware's website that had all of the Minimum and Maximum Requirements in all aspects of VI3"

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This is something that I would love to learn. We use it at work and it looks so interesting. Unfortunetaly I don't have much exposure to as I am not the main network admin.... I do work with it every once in a while but I just do the basic things. My boss did promise to send me on training though so we'll see how that works out!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Meh

Sat the fast-track eight months ago, still haven't got round to doing the exam. Will have to do it soon though - need to get it as part of my objectives this year and also need to get halfway through my CCNP (depsite not doing anything with Cisco kit as we're an HP shop switch-wise and the yanks doing almost all the routing)

The VCP is supposedly pretty easy if you work with it (I do - all day) so I'm not nervous - I just can't find the damn time!

Oh - and the book that Dales linked to rules. By far the best book for ESX there is (and I've got all of them, so I should know). On NO account buy the Herold, Ogleby and Laverick book or the Haletky one - the former because it is very badly laid out (although there is a lot of decent info in there) and the latter because it is by far the worst example of rush-to-press I've ever encountered - it looks like it was proof-read by an orang-utan

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. MrGadget

MrGadget Bit Poster

To sum it up, i believe i got to read :

VMware Certified Professional Blueprint Outline
    Course Material Guide (5 Day Fast Track)
    Resource Management Guide
    The SAN Management Guide
    The Install and Configure Guide
    VCB Documentation
    Converter Enterprise Documentation,
    Minimum and Maximum Requirements in all aspects of VI3

As well as the book which i have but not looked at yet

Wish me luck, i'm gonna need it. :(

8. MrGadget

MrGadget Bit Poster

Hi,

I'm finding a lot of discrepancies between my course material and the VMWare VI3 PDF ie. My Course notes says that VCB must be a physical server but this is not the case in the VCB documentation.

Can someone please confirm that the exam is based on the latest PDF's and my course material is out of date.

Thanks.

9. MrGadget

MrGadget Bit Poster

Hi,

I Passed VCP-310, i scored 85% :D

I looked at the VMware Certified Professional Blueprint Outline and then read the following at least 3 times each. It took me around 6 weeks of reading which i was luckily enough to do during working hours at work as the VCP was part of my development plan.

Course Material Guide (5 Day Fast Track)
    ALL the VI3 PDF's
    Which included:

1. Introduction to VMware Infrastructure vi3_35_25_u2_intro_vi.pdf
    2. VMware Infrastructure 3 Primer vi3_35_25_u2_prim.pdf
    3. Configuration Maximums for VMware Infrastructure 3 vi3_35_25_u2_config_max.pdf
    4. Quick Start Guide vi3_35_25_u2_quickstart.pdf
    5. ESX Server 3 and VirtualCenter Installation Guide vi3_35_25_u2_installation_guide.pdf
    6. Upgrade Guide vi3_35_25_u2_upgrade_guide.pdf
    7. Basic System Administration vi3_35_25_u2_admin_guide.pdf
    8. ESX Server 3 Configuration Guide vi3_35_25_u2_3_server_config.pdf
    8. Virtual Infrastructure Web Access vi3_35_25_u2_web_access[1].pdf
    9. Resource Management Guide vi3_35_25_u2_resource_mgmt.pdf
    10. Fibre Channel SAN Configuration Guide vi3_35_25_u2_san_cfg.pdf
    11. iSCSI SAN Configuration Guide vi3_35_25_u2_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf
    12. Virtual Machine Backup Guide vi3_35_25_u2_vm_backup.pdf
    13. VMware vCenter Update Manager Admin Guide vi3_vum_10u2_admin_guide.pdf
    14. VMware vCenter Converter Admin Guide vi3_vec_10u2_admin_guide.pdf
    15. SAN System Design and Deployment Guide vi3_san_design_deploy.pdf

esx3_ready_time.pdf
    esx_backup_wp.pdf
    GuestOS_guide.pdf
    Round-Robin Load Balancing.pdf
    Running VirtualCenter in a VM.pdf
    vi3_35_25_u2_mscs.pdf
    vi3_vc_roles.pdf
    vmotion_info_guide.pdf

vmreferenceVI3card1.3for3.5U3.pdf

I also bought the book Mastering VMware Infrastructure 3 by Chris McCain but never read it.

I'd been playing around with VI3 just doing some ESX installs and basic administration detailed in the Basic System Administration using VC and VI Client, however, never played around with HA, DRS, VMotion but have seen it work. I had to read the documentation several times as hands on experience was limited.

Since doing the Fast Track Course in Dec 2008, I also found several discrepancies between the course material and official PDF's documentation ie. Running VCB in VM. Course material states only Physical Machine.

This was my first ever certification so really happy i passed it and now given me confidence to do more. I'm now preparing to the VCP-410 reading through all the VSphere PDF's which i plan to undertake in September and do one or two MCSE's in Nov\Dec\Jan.

Hope this helps someone!

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Big congrats and well done ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats and thanks for sharing your study material routes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Interesting & congrats with pass

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done mate!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5