Vmware stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Mar 8, 2014.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK, so i have a little microserver

What id like to do is a few things, a few virtual machines, Kali linux, server 2008, win 7. Id also like to be able to set this up so i can access files from where ever i am, and if possible host and online game, like command and conquer or civilisation etc.

The stuff i have to work with is a HP N36l microserver, which has 3 hard drives, 1 x 250gb, 1x640 and 1x1.5tb. The processor is 1.3 dual core and it has 8 gbg ram

Ive got Vsphere client ready to set up, so that i can get ready to load images. But im not sure how to go about this, or if i can go about doing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I have recently setup my lab and am still working on it so have some experience with this. The first question is how do you plan to install ESXi? For a microserver you can either install it to a USB device or to a hard drive. In your post you say you downloaded the vSphere client, this is used to connect to inidividual ESXi hosts so you will need to download the vSphere Hypervisor to install ESXi.

3. zxspectrum

Hey Mak, cheers for the reply

So far i have put the esxi on through the usb,this is installed on the HD. I cant connect to through vsphere client yet, but i can see everything through the web address.

I from what you said, im guessing the vsphere goes on first ?

Cheers

Ed

4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

As part of the vSphere Hypervisor install you have the option to setup a static IP address, I would suggest doing this as well as setting up the other network settings. You will also be prompted to enter a password for the root logon. When you have done all that install the vSphere client on your PC and launch it, you will be prompted for the IP address of the ESXi host you want to connect to aswell as the username (which is root) and the password. Have a search on the internet and im sure you will find a few step by step guides that will help if you get stuck.

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look at my lab guides for installing The Home Lab guides over at Everything Virtual where I talk you through installing to USB, creating the databases, installing vCenter, Certificate Authorities, Storage and Networking.

if you like what you see on my site, please consider voting for my blog at Top VMware/virtualization blogs 2014

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. zxspectrum

Cheers guys

Yeah will do Si, much appreciated

Ee