Vmware server running at startup

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Fergal1982, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys. I have a 'server' running winserv2003 (its really a PC borrowed from work to run server).

I've set VMWare server on the machine, and set up a second winserv2003 system (i need at least two servers for 70-294 to simulate replication, etc), but id like to know how i configure vmware to run and start the virtual server at bootup. currently i've logged in as admin and started vmware (ideally id like it to start like a service, and not be visible on the taskbar - being opened only if the user remoting in wants to run it).

Is this possible? am i making any sense here?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Fergal. You might want to try some of these tips from the comments here. As you see the article is subscriber only and I've forgotten my login details.:oops:

Here's another little helper.

Or maybe a better one here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Fergal
    if you open the VM Server console and goto Edit VM Settings for the VM in question
    goto the Options tab and there is a startup/shutdown setting, u need to use a nother logon account such as a domain account or the Local System account but you can then set the system to boot up and shutdown with the PC

hope that helps

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

thanks phoenix. seems to be working quite well. rebooted server1 twice now. and both times server2 seems to have started automatically.

that said. although i can RDC into server2. server1 now seems to be refusing connections. very strange. ill reboot and see if that resolves the issue.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present