Vmware Server + NAT + can't connect...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by fsimeta, Jun 10, 2007.

1. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Doing a little experimentation with Server 2003 on VMWare Server and had it connecting to the net (along with my Ubuntu Linux as well) on first install, but when I restarted the PC can't get it to connect again.

I'm using a BT Voyager 2100 router; with Comodo Firewall and the VMWare proprietary network connections, but for the life of me can't figure out how to route VMWare Server out through (if necessary) either my router; DHCP settings or....blah blah..don't know what I'm talking about :blink

Anyone had problems with this in the past? I've searched the forums for answers but couldn't find anything :)

Here's hoping..

Thanks

Fsimeta

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

How did you setup your vmware server and can you access the internet through the vmware server? Provide some more info as this looks like it might be that your not using the correct network settings in vmware.

By this I mean how was your vmware server hooked to your BT voyager router and what ip address is it picking up. It might well be that you need to select the bridged network option in vmware. Lets have some more info.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Ok, thought that might be the case :)

I've set it to NAT to get out to the net; and my VMWare Network ip addresses are as follows :

VMNet1 is 192.168.243.1
    VMNet8 is 192.168.204.1

I'm connecting to the localhost when logging into my virtual machines.
    It says Internet Explorer Enhanced Security config is enabled, though I was able to update Server 2003 on my first login.

I've not changed any settings on my router and they are at the default local addresses.

I've tried bridged (via the VMWare Server settings) but nothing changed there even with a restart. So is it my DHCP server settings changing the IP address requirements? Or am I talking out of my er...
    :biggrin

Thanks for the help!

4. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Still struggling with this one too; anyone used VMWare Server and got it work succesfully connect? Or am I stuck because of the IE protection that Server 2003 has inbuilt (ie I don't know how to turn it off!)

It's not really that urgent, I just love figuring things out (eventually..) :)