VMWare Player or ESX?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 11, 2011.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What should I choose?

I have decided to move away from virtual pc as I recently had an update for it which lost my network connection and I couldn't get it to recognise my ethernet adapter so I have decided to switch.

At the moment I have server 2003 and a few XP pro's to install but was also thinking about installing OS X and SQL server. I also plan to setup a full AD domain will either version run and do all of that?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Depends. If you have a server you can chuck ESXi on, go for that. It's a bare metal hypervisor, and free. Other than that, use VMWare Server - which is also free, but sits on top of your regular Windows install. Benefits and drawbacks to both approaches - obviously if you run bare metal then you're not wasting a load of overhead on the underlying O/S, but you need another machine to run the vSphere client from. If you run it on top of Windows, you waste resources running the 'host' O/S and it won't perform as well - but you can run everything on the one box (including access to the ESXi box via the vSphere client)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think I will have to run server until I get some more hardware, thanks for the info.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi there

You might want to try virtual box, its also free and has a few more whistles and bells than vmware server! Not sure about OS X though!

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna