VMWare Networking

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Apr 3, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've got VMWare Workstation 4.0 loaded on my lab machine. Sometime ago, I installed a virtual machine, Windows XP Pro as part of a writing project. I'm getting to the point where I want to create a virtual network. As part of this, I configured the NIC on the virtual machine to be on the same subnet as my real world network. The virtual nic is set to "bridged" which should allow it to connect to my other actual machines...but it can't. The interesting part is the host machine can ping the virtual machine by ip address and name but not vice versa.

On the host machine, when I go into Network Connections, in addition to the LAN adapter connection, two others appear: VMnet1 and VMnet8. Their IP addresses are 192.168.50.1 and 192.168.1.1 respectively and the subnet mask for both is 255.255.255.0. This is not the IP scheme the rest of my network is on and is not the scheme the virtual machine is configured for. Any ideas before I go monkeying around here? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Discovered more...sort of. I went in to the settings for each VMnet. First I changed one to be on the same subnet as the rest of my network, then I changed the other, then I changed both. Results were the same. Unless both VMnet adapters are set to the 192.168 network, not only can't my virtual machine ping my host, but my host can't ping the virtual machine. Interestingly, my host can ping both VMnet adapters when set to the 192.168 network, even though its a completely different subnet than the one the host uses. The virtual machine can't ping anyone. Sheesh.

3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

VM's networking could be improved.

One thing that egt's me is I say add three NIC's to a machine.Then I go to My Network Places and they're named LAN1, LAN2, and LAN3.

So I have to figure out which one is which, then rename them.Very easy to egt lost in a swirl of IP addresses.

Not sure about your problem Trip, still trying to make sense of it.I think I know what your saying, but can't think why this would be.
    I'll have a gander on VM, and report back.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, flex. :)

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

This has just gone plain wierd. I can ping the virtual machine from any of my actual networked computers. My wife's computer is in a different room and attached to the network via a wireless USB network adapter. I can ping the virtual machine from there. On a whim, I opened the run window and typed in \\vm's_ip_address. It opened up the shares on the VM. I went to the virtual machine and tried to ping my wife's computer....It Worked!!! Then I typed the ip of my wife's computer into the VM's run box...It opened up the shares. I even copied a file from my wife's computer into the VM.

Guess what? The VM still can't ping any other machine on the network even though they can ping each other and are all on the same subnet!!! What is up, here???

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh duh. Problem solved. I started thinking about what makes my wife's machine different and it's Zone Alarm. My wife didn't want me to load it on her machine because the alerts made her nuts. Her machine is only on the local LAN. It can connect to the Internet via a proxy but she never uses it, preferring to go on the Internet on the Micron. I just added the virtual machine's name and IP address to the "trusted" list and bingo...instant communication. Just call me ol' "egg on his face".

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

ahh ok, no probs.

Was going through the networking options, seeing where you might have gone wrong.

This problemis sorted then, good.