VMware network questions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Finkenstein, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Hey everyone!

I'm setting up a new lab at home, but using VMWare Server this time, as opposed to having a bunch of machines lying around. Anyway... here is my setup so far:

Wireless/wired network from ISP-
    Home office pc for basic internet use (for wife and I)
    Home test server with VMware

I have configured a number of VM's on that server, but I'm trying to make them on their own independent network that will (hopefully) use NAT with the host machine to gain internet access, however will not interfere with any setting on my home network.

For right now, my home server and home office pc are on the 192.168.1.x subnet. I want to create a new 10.x.x.x subnet for all of my vm machines. I think I was heading in the right direction as I went into Host Virtual Network Mapping and configured a new subnet, dhcp scope, and NAT settings. I would eventually like to set up DHCP on one of the VM DCs that I have.

I tried thumbing around with some VMware docs but I think they were pointing me towards a more advanced version of what I am doing... I'm not too sure. I'm hoping someone here has a quick "yea, you are on the right track, but try this" type suggestion.

Thanks to all! I'm new to the VMware thing. We use VMware ESX at work and have great success, but right now we are so set up that it is just clone an image and boom, insta-server. :p Plus, I wasn't involved in the initial ESX setup... I wish I had been, but that was one of our guys rolling solo on that one.

Oh, and sorry if this comes across as disjointed in any way. I'm tying this while holding on to my little guy who just woke from his nap, so I'm sure there may be a random "Barney" or "Wiggle" thrown in here. :D

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yea, you are on the right track, but try this.

At this stage simply set all of your machines to 'local only' networking (might be host only in VMWare). that way the only VM's that they will be able to see are the other VM's on the PC and the actual host itself. leaving them set like this means that you can give them IP's in whatever range you want because they cannot see the physical network and will not interfere with it.

Now what I think you are trying to do is have one of your servers act as a gateway to the physical network so that all of the other VM's use it to gain access to the internet? is this right? If so you will need to configure that server with 2 nic's, one internal (host only), and one external (nat or bridged).

3. Finkenstein

Thanks for the response. I'll check this out when I get home tonight. I will be using my host server as a gateway to the physical network, so it is currently pulling an ip of my home network. It also has a virtual adapter (I believe) since all of my virtual machines are pointing to 10.10.10.1 as their gateway, which would have to be the host since that holds my physical connection. It is weird that the vm's are currently pulling DHCP from 10.10.10.254, and I have no clue what that is. I thought that it was rather arbitrary for a lot of the settings to be auto configured. I guess it is for ease since it worked when I first set everything with defaults, but I want to have more control over the virtual network... more like it would be in a real environment.

I'll follow up with what I find later tonight.

Thanks again!!

EDIT: Woo hoo.... post #200. BosonMichael look out.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Moving up quick! Post more! POST MORE!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Finkenstein

I'm trying. LOL. I figure with more knowledge will come more posting abilities. So, my only reason for learning and becoming certified is so that I can post more here. :D