VMware Fusion problems

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by hailstorm, Aug 4, 2008.

1. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

I'm trying to run through the practice exercises in the MS Press book for 70-291. I have VMware Fusion running on my Macbook. I've installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on two virtual machines ok.

I have two problems.

1) How do I disable VMware's build in DHCP server? I don't need it as I'm either using a static IP or I'll set up one on a virtual machine.

2) I can't ping either virtual machine running 2003. I have both set as a static IP, 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

Thanks for any help.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I don't think there's any specific way in disabling DHCP in a vmware, you usually assign a static IP and that should take care of DHCP issue. I could be wrong, so if I am, someone will correct me soon.

Have you checked the firewall in the control panel? I know that by default if I am not mistaking the ICMP packet requests are denied. You would either allow it or disable the windows firewall in general.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I know on vm workstation you can disable the DHCP. It is in Manage Virtual Networks under the DHCP tab. You just need to turn it off or make a team and assign them its own LAN segment (it will have have no DHCP) or choose one of those 1 to 8 vmcard jobs without DHCP.

4. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Thanks Theprof. All seems to be working fine now.

I haven't found any settings for DHCP. The Mac version seems to be missing this.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You're welcome, glad I could help.

On a side note, there is a DHCP setting in VMware, so my previous statement about it not having DHCP option was wrong. Here is the link to the website if you ever need help with it. It gives a nice little explanation along with screen shots on how to do basic stuff. Here is the link http://www.vmweekly.com/articles/networking_in_vmware/1/

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA