VMware FUSION or HYPER-V

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by jamin100, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Im going to be starting my 70-680 soon and am wondering which Virtual platform would be best to use.

I have an Imac and a Server 2008R2 HP Microserver.

So, I plan on having one DC (virtual) and 2 Win 7 clients. so im wondering which would be better to use, either VMware Fusion or HYPER-V.

The only plus side for Fusion is that I could put the virtual machines on a USB hard drive and use them at work too as I have fusion there.

ANy suggestions?

WIP: 70-680
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

you might find the IO on a usb hard drive a little frustrating if you start doing too much to the vm, also you may come across a few challenges with 2 different copies of fusion and keeping the vm's happy.

I would be tempted to use the hyper-v box and stick logmein free on it so you can get to it from work during quiet periods. What spec is you Imac?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

That's the problem, I work in a school and remote access tools such as logmein and splashtop are blocked by the council.

My iMac is a 24" 2.66 core2duo with 8gb ram, 120gb ssd drive & 1tb drive (both internal)

My work iMac is core2duo 3ghz, 8gb ram & 500gb hard drive

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You could use a high speed USB 3 stick and copy the VM back and forth, but yeah you'd have to kick it off 20 min before you go home / work.

RDP, VNC or SSH sounds like a better bet but if youre not allowed guess not.

You can set up you home VMware Fusion to allow incoming VNC connections, are outgoing VNC connections definitely banned from work ?

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You could have a look round at the more obscure remote desktop apps like mikogo etc, It wont be the logmein service your not allowed access to only the website I expect so if you dig around you might find a remote access app that isn't recognised by your corp firewall yet. What about outbound VPN's if your allowed to do that then you could use your routers VPN server if it has one or something like openvpn to create a tunnel.

I'm sure your employer wont fancy the plugging and unplugging of USB devices into their equipment much either, In fact when I did support for a council we almost had a big red flashing light when someone plugged a usb thing into their machine so we would have to go and "educate" the staff member about the risks.

I guess you could always get a dev citrix licence and install citrix on your hyper-v box that would work without too much trouble and is very unlikely to be blocked in anyway.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Imacs dont have USB3 :( the only other thing I could think of is using a firewiree 800 enclosure and a SSD drive but thats getting into money I dont want to spend.

VPN is blocked outgoing.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, mikogo is blocked too. It will be both the service and the websites that are blocked....
    They will be allowed coming into the school but not outgoing. Also its against a AUP of the council....

Im the IT Manager so I can plug whatever I like into the machines lol... But then again I let staff use USB sticks too, but only encrypted ones...

Think i will probably just have to use hyper-v and only use the labs at home...

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you're the IT manager why on earth can't you create a firewall rule to allow just your MAC address outbound VNC access ?

Outbound VNC or RDP access is less risky than inbound, so not sure I understand your policy..

You could use also use firewire enclosure and any old laptop hdd you have kicking around.

Personally I'd setup VMware fusion at home and open up your home iMac for VNC inbound and alter work to allow outbound from at least your machine.

Alternatively I'd do a similar thing with HyperV / VMware Server only using RDP.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  8. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Because the firewall is part of the core network at the councils data centre which I don't have access too.

Our Internet goes through the councils network before it gets to the outside world. It's heavily filtered too

9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Port forwarding and a proxy perhaps? I have a "friend" who accesses his server's vSphere Web Client from work.

I say why choose when you can have them all. I've had Hyper-V on my server. Did all I felt I needed to, then rebuilt it as ESX. I will probably try something else at some stage. All good learning mate. I usually setup trials on my server depending on what exams or technology I'm learning at the time.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs