VMware ESXi network setting for guests

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by HTF, Jan 2, 2010.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hello,

I used to have VMware server installed on W2K8 and I've managed to set the network up but now I tried ESXi version and as it's completely diffrent I have a problem to set the network for guests.
    Basically I have server with additional IP range xxx.xxx.xxx.112 /28 statically routed via primary IP which I want to use for the guests, at the moment it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Network seetings for guest W2K3 Enterprise:
    IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.114
    Subnet: /28
    Gatway: xxx.xxx.xxx.113 (is it ok or should be diffrent?)

Please help me to set this up
    Regards

Certifications: A+
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

You configure the IP's within each VM

the IP for VMkernel Port Management Network is the IP for the ESXi server itself.
    you cant see the IPs for VM's from the vSphere client. Go into each VM

to get you running the easiest way would be to configure the VM clients via DHCP.
    or if you want to play with windows servers dhcp create a isolated network on a new vswitch with no NIC and create VMs attach to that.

to go into more detail would be difficult to explain on a forum with out writing a novel.

But i can tell that you need to learn about TCP/IP, IP addressing and subnetting.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

Basically server is located in data centre so all IPs are public that's why I would like to assign static IPs so I could access VMs from WAN, do you no how to achieve this goal?

4. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Ok so ignore my previous reply

5. supernova

well answer your other posts then, where people have been kind to answer you.:biggrin

do you really want all the VMs on private addresses?

if public then set IP in each guest VM (in the VM's OSs tcp settings), set your ESXi boxes IP and the gateway would be the router in the datacentre.

xxx.xxx.xxx.114 , xxx.xxx.xxx.113, xxx.xxx.xxx.112 --||-- ESXi Box (xxx.xxx.xxx.111, gw:router_ip) --||--- router (router_ip)
    ^^^gw:router_ip^^^

VMkernel Port Management Network and VMkernel Ports shouldn't be changed or added , useless you know why your doing it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

I do if it's necessary and I don't if everything is clear and explained in the thread but this is not the case...

You, instead don't read the posts ;)

The main IP and the additional are from different range:

Main :94.xxx.218.21 /26
    Additional range: 94.xxx.223.112 /28

I do have connections with ESXi box from outside (read WAN) I'm struggle to get the connection with the guests, I've set the network with VMware Server with no problems but as ESXi cannot do routing or NATting I donnot know how to do it...

As you probably have read so many TCP books you know that the first usable IP from the range xxx.xxx.xxx.112 /28 is .114

- anyway thx for trying if I'll solve the problem I'll post solution here

Reg

7. supernova

You can use a external router or you setup a virtual router using Linux as a VM between vswitches

Actually I didn’t state what subnet i was using for that reason its open to interpretation and you know that!

the only reason i wondered about your TCP knowledge was because you were asking what your gateway should be without giving any details of your network setup regarding this.

Good luck

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

As you only appear to have one network card configured on the esxi box then I would suggest you only have one service console port configured (which should not be a public IP unless you want a script kiddie bashing away at it). the ESXI configuration page is just for the ESXI box itself it will not affect the IP's of the guest VM's they must be configured in the normal way. I assume that you are using local storage for the vm's?

The best way to think of the ESXI box is the network cards are now uplinks and configuring stuff in ESXI will only alter the method that either storage is attached or the service console is accessed (I.e. pointing the vi client to the esxi box).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. supernova

you only really need to change or add VMkernel Ports in stuations that invovle vmotion, software initiated iSCSI and NFS.

There are many ways you can deal with multiple subnets in ESXi separate physical NICs & vswitches, VLAN trunking and taging (eg network 11.1.1.x on VLAN A, network 193.168.0.x on VLAN B) or a Linux VM setup as a router between vswitches (this useful for NAT)... and more.. just depends on situation

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  10. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thx for all help I will test/try all this configs ;)

11. supernova

lol yeah i see what you mean, i meant public.

However after your second post i see what you mean.

How did you have it set it up in vmware server?

12. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Basically it was installed on W2K8 so I've just set guests NICs to Host only mode and the I assigned IPs from the additional range to the appropriate adapter (for Host only) and the I've statically routed IPs in the host.