Vmware ESX Hardware

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by michael78, Oct 9, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Tried to install VMWare ESX on an AMD Desktop CPU (Can't remember the model or spec) and it said it couldn't find any compatible hardware. From this I'm assuming you can only install on server grade hardware and CPU's???

If this is correct does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap and small compatible server to run ESX on?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Fella

Check this out

ESX is fussy about what it will and won't install on. You need compatible storage and network drivers. Read the above thread for info - that's my home lab setup. Your best bet would be to follow what I've got - without the fancy RAID controller (i.e. buy a cheap as chips ML110 - about 120 quid brand new) which will quite happily support ESX.

PS: If you're not aware that ESX is fussy you probably should do a bit of reading on it before playing around with it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Depending on what you want to do with ESX, and depending on if you have access to a copy of VM Workstation and also depending on the specs of your PC... it is possible to run ESX as a VM itself within VM Workstation. Obviously this is only really used for getting used to the product and demos. Saved me a bunch of money though as I alreadyhad a quad core PC at home.

http://knowledge.xtravirt.com/white-papers/esx-3x.html

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I did that myself Ludd - got it working after some hair pulling. However, its not much use if you want to actually do anything with ESX. VMotion, HA, DRS etc don't work at all, and ESX itself runs like an utter dog. Useful if you just want to play around with the user interface, but not for anything else.

5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

There are still 120 quid ml110s about? I can only find in the 250-300 range...

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I got mine from Servers Direct - they were ridiculously cheap so its possible that they had a bulk lot of old stock to clear out that has since been replaced with a new revision model. I actually got ML115s rather than 110s which I thought would be a problem sicne the SATA driver wasn't supported on earlier versions of ESX, but it works fine on 3.5u2

7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I have to admit that the peformance of it wasn't great, but in most circumstances it doesn't have to be.

I worked with an ESX VM for quite a while, and even done some testing on actual production VM's copied from my work environment, and it all worked fine. (Not superfast, of course) I am running 4GB ram and 2.4 Quad Intel with VT supported though.

I admit that I haven't used VMotion on it, so take your point with that. Although I thought I remembered Phoenix posting that he had it all working on a demo laptop. (Sorry if my memory fails me Phoenix.) I know that most users wanting to test out ESX usually consists of actually getting to grips with how it all works, which usually consists of installing it, creating a couple of VM's, working out how the networking works and other stuff that isn't exactly memory or ram intensive. As for VMotion..... I've never tried so wouldn't want to hazard a guess.

All I know is that it saved me a small fortune buying servers that I'd never use again.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. michael78

Nice one Zeb, I've had a look and can say that your singly responsible for global warming with that setup...:biggrin I've had a look and it looks like the servers have went up in price or I would of bought a couple. I was going to custom build a triple AMD core PC to run this off for £300 but will look into if ESX will run on the Phenom CPU.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

found a few links to the ml110's at about 100 gold coins but there are either not in stock or gone up in price. wish I had seen them earlier would have got an extra one for a bit of ebay beer money!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - you see, you should have checked Uncle Zeb's thread earlier :)

I'm a mine of useless information most of the time, but occasionally I do have some uses!

11. michael78

I've been looking for an alternative and opted for a cheap Dell PowerEdge T105 server and thought great £210 including VAT and was happy until I added the £60 delivery costs :eek: What a rip off. I told the lass on the phone that it would need to be delivered by 9am tomorrow in a limo for me to even consider paying that. I really cheeses me off as it doesn't feel like a delivery charge but a hidden cost. You can't tell me it costs Dell £60 to deliver a small server.

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

well if you use ebay then item number 160290682488 may tickle your fancy.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  13. michael78

Dale your a star mate just what I was after. I got one for £170 including delivery, bargain :biggrin

14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

just put an offer in myself for one of those just to get my ms vm's off my games pc as its getting a bit unreliable in its old age. :rolleyes:

15. michael78

Let me know if you manage to get one mate as I'm tempted to get another one but am a little skint at the mo so need to knock a few more £££ off if I get a second one.

16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

didnt get one in the end, I put in a really cheeky offer (well you never know), the counter offer came back as £165 plus postage, which I didnt go for. its def a good deal for the quad core version but what with xmas coming up and my 2nd child due this week it was a bit rich for me. I'm going to get one cause I think apart from the ml110 its pretty much the only sensible server option for our purposes for the home.

Still slypie armed with my info perhaps you could bang out another one with a close cheeky offer!:twisted: