VMware certification and training for non infrastructure people

Discussion in 'Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization' started by dmarsh, Jan 10, 2013.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I was thinking of maybe embarking on VMware training and certification at some point.

However my role is primarily that of a developer, I have a reasonable understanding of network and server basics but its not my main focus.

Will this be achievable or advisable ?

David

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hi David, are you using any virtualisation technology at the moment? working in the field? able to get hands on with any networking\storage\server\OS?

As a developer you may be better off looking at some Spring certifications (if they exist).

Could I also suggest posting this into the VMware Certifications forum as it may get a few more responses there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hiya Dave M

You're a very bright guy, anything is possible. You would have to attend a VMware licensed course to become certified even if you pass the exam. Most of us choose the Install, Configure, Manage course to get the initial VCP. The course alone is highly unlikely to enable you to pass the exam, more reading and experience is needed for that. They have something called a blueprint which details exactly what you need to know, which is quite a lot compared to some other vendor certifications I think its fair to say.

Do you mind if I ask what direction you want your career to go mate? Seems to me you're at the top of your tree in development. Do you fancy a bit of variety every now and then? I'm sure I recall you saying contracting suiting you best at the moment. It would be great to turn your hand to anything, certainly help someone weather the ups and downs in the market for developers and infrastructure people.

What ever you choose I'm sure you would be great at it. I love infrastructure work and know for my employer we generate a massive amount of revenue, so budget never seems an issue which is nice. I do love scripting and sometimes wish I'd become a java programmer or some such (if thats even a popular language still?)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Java is still popular but there are now a lot of Java programmers so the markets not what it once was.

Longer term I may go the Architect route, and many places want multi-skilled architects able to advise on programme management, infrastructure and software development.

Obviously the software part is where I'm strongest.

Also as mentioned on my other post (I moved it), there are a few rare hybrid roles where they want programmers to help build cloud or ISP infrastructure services and they want them to be programmers but also know virtualization.

Currently there are a lot of subjects I want to learn so I'm just toying with the idea for now, its possible that much of the certification may be overkill for me at least initially, however I can't really say as I haven't done it.

I'm also interested in HPC and BigData, but it may be that the performance loss of virtualization makes it a somewhat contradictory path?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013