vmware 2 network cards 1 int 1 ext

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by hippy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I want a virtual 2003 server with WSUS installed, i want it to talk to the virtual network and also talk to the internet through my hosts network card. Preferably i would like to use 2 virtual network cards (or 1 if its a better idea) to accomplish this but i dont know how to set it up :$ I can add a second virtual network card etc... but im slightly iffy on the rest of the set up.

Cheers! :biggrin

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If this is the only server that connects to the internet then you will defininately need 2 virtual network cards. One connected to the same virtual network as the other vms and one connected via bridged or nat.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Ok so i set up one card for the segment 1 lan (using a team) and the other for bridged or NAT. How would I get an xp virtual client to connect to the internet through the virtual server? Do i bridge the internal and external virtual network card? :D cheers

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you just need the XP Pro client to access the internet then connect configure it with bridged or nat.

If you are trying to connect the machines on your vm network to connect to the internet through the vm server then you'll have to set the server up for RRAS. I'm not too sure about it but I think you'll have to have a domain for that (it's been about 3 years since I did anything with RRAS :oops: ).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685