VM Ware Network Speed

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Mr.Cheeks, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I finally got round to looking at VMWare, dont see whats all the fuss about.... (yet).

anyway, one question though, does anyone have any idea why the network speed (within VM Ware) is 10mbs when my card is 100 mbs...

i installed 2K and XP and both are at 10mb, whereas when i use V PC, the card is at 10/100... or is this normal :blink

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheeks,

Have you been in to Device manager and checked the link speed? It might on 10MBps for some reason.

If so, change it to 100 or Auto - whichever option you have.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Basically until you install the VMware Tools you will be using a very generic driver and that will only present to windows a 10mb card

however due to the virtualised nature you will notice very little performance gain from the change when it happens (although its best practice to install vmware tools anyway) as the networking is handled by vmware not the client, and vmware will use whatever it can get, be it 10mb 100mb or 1000mb

the advantage comes in any tcp optimisation windows makes for faster cards, ie windowing, and sequencing etc

hope that helps

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Yes it did help, and yes it worked, Thanks.

5. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

I see my VM appeare 1Gbs at the bottom-right panel!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  6. Mr.Cheeks

it says 1gb, but would would adjust accordingly to what you speed is... i know my card is 10/100 so it would adjust to 100mbs..

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

That's true, but don't forget that it'd be 1gbps between VMs as they are all on a virtual network segment.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270