VLSM Examples

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by quackers, Oct 2, 2007.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Over the last couple of days i've been getting my head round subnetting and vlsm again, now i'm ok with subnetting thanks to the questions on subnetting.com

Is there anything similar for VLSM? I need loads of examples to batter my poor head with :)

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

quackers,

Each VLSM solution needs to be tailored for each case. What study materials do you have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

ah i think i understand, i can in theory make any network up, subnet it and then take it from there?

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

quackers,

Well, instead of the apparent three steps of: 1) "make any network up," 2) "subnet it" and 3) "take it from there" there's only two: 1) Given a network 2) variably subnet it. However it's step 2 that has an unknown number of substeps due to network complexity.

For example, your company if you're employed, a dream company you'd like to work for if you're unemployed, or even your school if you're a student. How many sites does it have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello mate, seems like we are in the same part of our CCNA so here are some trials for you to get around.

Calculate VLSM Subnets accordingly to the following data;

* 4 Networks
    * Network P requires 60 hosts
    * Network S requires 12 hosts
    * Network I requires12 hosts
    * Network K requires 28 hosts

* Determine the best IP Class to use and avoid wasting as much IPs as possible, remember that there aren't many to waste, lol...

Enjoy and feel free to post your results here or e-mail them to me mate.
    Take care,

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  6. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Remember your block sizes are importand and give you a good idea of where to start, 2,4,8,16,32,64,128.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  7. bluelambda

bluelambda New Member

Most of the CCNA questions go like this (which is also extremely useful for practical day-to-day networking scenarios):

- Given a supernet (eg /16), you need to subnet them into x number of subnets each with a requirement of y hosts.

- How many hosts can a subnet of x size (eg /23) support?

Also given IP, subnet mask and subnet, can you determine of the 2 hosts are in the same subnet? These are for questions like: why can't host X communicate with host Y? - You have to determine

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, F5 SE (LTM)
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Careful... you're skirting awfully close to a breach of confidentiality (you know, that silly little non-disclosure agreement you signed when you took the exam), aren't you?

Nice spam in the sig as well...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!