vlans

Discussion in 'Networks' started by keithmoon, May 10, 2010.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

hi everyone,

im working on a solution for my project for uni. was just wondering if someone can confirm that it is NOT possible to have vlans over WAN leased line. For example, I have two offices, one in london and one in glasgow, both have design staff, they are going to be connected together using leased line, is it possible to have both these departments in the same vlan ? say (vlan 10) . over a leased line?

Cheers all

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, you can.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks for getting back boson,

so hows that done, can you expand please?

would I create subnets sized around the Culmulative number of hosts in the same department on all sites? i.e Glasgow has 60 design members, London has 90 design members = 150, so i would subnet my original class B addy to allow for 150 hosts plus a bit of growth. Then just allocate the addys as normal amongst the departments on each site?

thanks in advance for your help

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. BosonMichael

Connect the offices by leased line and trunk the VLANs. Exactly how you do that depends on the devices you use.

You can design VLANs in any (valid) way you want to, just like you can create logical, routed networks in any way you want to.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

so i would trunk the links in order for tagging ( isl or dot1q ) to be used?

is there any particular devices you could kindly reccomend?

also would the subnetting scheme I explained before be valid boson?

thanks alot mate for your help it is much appreciated

6. BosonMichael

You would connect and configure them just as you would if it were a plain old local wired network. I'm partial to Cisco, but that's because that's what I'm used to.

Your subnetting scheme depends on what address ranges you're using. If you've got a whole 16-bit Class B to yourself, you can divide up those 65,536 addresses however you see fit. I'd probably put them on a 24-bit range unless you plan on more growth than that.

The question I have is this: why do you feel the need to separate departmental traffic? Or is this just a theoretical question?

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Si/AJ can you check vBulletin is OK or that Mike's account hasn't been hacked please? There are only 3 words in this post, there's clearly a fault somwhere. . . . . . :twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yeh, sorry about that. We turned verbose mode off for a bit and it must have been just then he posted :p (sorry Mike :biggrin )

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

Im just following the spec sheet from uni mate. "traffic from each department should be logically seperated from other departments"

dont ask me why i think its just to show that we understand how vlans work

cheers mate

10. BosonMichael

It's back on again. :oops:

:p

11. BosonMichael

No problem - just wanted you to consider the reasons behind separating the departmental traffic. There are valid (and not-so-valid) reasons for doing so... but you get so much more out of the exercise if you work them through in your head on your own. VLANs aren't very intuitive, but once the lightbulb comes on, you'll begin to see several practical applications for them.

12. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks again boson, i think il just stick to vlans for each site and not have them accross the wan seems easier and less hassle ( projects due in on friday :/ ) thanks again though mates its much appreciated

13. BosonMichael

So are you splitting up each site into it's own VLAN (Glasgow in 10, Liverpool in 20), or are you splitting up the departments at each site into their own VLANs (Design Glasgow in 10, Production Glasgow in 20, Design Liverpool in 30, Production Liverpool in 40)?