Vlan trouble

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Danmurph, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I'm currently replicating the network I am working with (in packet tracer) but have hit a bit of a wall and was wondering if anyone could help.

Basically there are two sites linked with an ipsec tunnel.
    The first site is split into two vlans which i have successfully replicated.
    The second has no vlan's and I have also replicated this successfully.
    I can link the two sites and have everything communicating which is fine, I now need to add a Vlan on the second site and incorperate this into the network so everything can communicate.
    They are layer two switches so a 'router on a stick' has been used for the first site.
    When I try to create the third Vlan on the second, I create a pc on the third vlan and can ping the default gateway (the router on a stick) but cannot get any further,
    I hope this makes sense can anyone help? :rolleyes:
    Not including the router on a stick for the Vlan there is also a router that is set up for the second site but is not part of any vlans, would I need to include this into the vlan?
    I think I'm confusing myself now?? :oops:

Thanks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

have you added the routes on the routers for this new vlan?

Also if you send the packet tracer file i'll use it and take a look.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

When pinging mate, you need to ensure that both routers have the static routes to reach each other on the next hop.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Here is the file, (sorry if its a bit messy, I am still very much a novice but having to learn very quickly)

Attached Files:

5. danielno8

don't have time right now to work on it, but i'll get time later hopefully and pick out what i can see, no doubt others will take a look for you aswell.

6. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Thanks alot,

It's probably going to be something very obvious, i've just been hard at it for nearly two weeks and am so close to understanding the principles which I need to troubleshoot the network unaided. It appears I had alot more to learn that I initially thought :oops:

The diagram is obviously very scaled down as I am just getting familiar with the fundamentals, once I am confident with this I can build on it then maybe start to study for some more certs further down the line.

Gotta admit though, I've learned more in the last nine days on the job than any book could have told me, working experience is worth so much more, certs should come secondry, I can now see why they say you should have x amount of experience before undertaking a cert! overall though, I think its going well :D

Danny

7. danielno8

from the quick look i had its mainly a routing issue, but the way you have VLAN'd and used a second router to be the router-on-a-stick seems strange to me (i'm not expert myself). Also, that PC (10.3.0.15 IIRC) had a 255.0.0.0 subnet mask, which should have been 255.255.255.0. I'll get a good look later, and then chat with you about it, together we will get to the bottom of it :)

8. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

DOH!
    Thats me rushing, I'll have a look at it, thanks for your help

Danny

9. danielno8

hi Dan,

Got a look at this last night. I though you wanted a second VLAN on this new network, but it seems theres only one and after re-reading your post it seems to be what you require? If that is the cae, there is no need for VLAN/router on a stick config?

If you do however want to add multiple networks to this segment then let me know and we can config that.

10. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi Dan,

I was trying to do something very simple when I was really stressed and got myself confused and made it over complicated. I went home last night did nothing to do with networks came in this morning and hey presto...I done what I wanted in half an hour take a look, you will see what I mean :D

Thanks for the help though dude

Danny

Attached Files: