VLAN confusion

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by The Editor, Jul 31, 2011.

1. The Editor

The Editor Bit Poster

I think I'm either missing something or making this too difficult for myself, but there is something about VLAN's that is confusing me.

I understand how to configure them, no problem there. I think my confusion comes with proper "usage".

Right. So VLAN's create separate broadcast domains, makes sense. I understand the need for that. I also get that each VLAN should be looked at as its own subnet ( and in most of the examples i've read it's setup like that. )

Here is where it goes off in left field for me. Lets say I'm implementing VLAN's in company A. Company A has 5 different departments that logically make sense to put in a VLAN.. Marketing. sales etc. Ok great. Since company A is a medium sized company they have 1 large file server that each department shares. So then how does that work? What vlan does the file server end up in since it needs to be accessible by all others.

Other than breaking up the broadcast domains what is my added benefit here. If each vlan is it's own subnet I lose the ability to just plug in a new station anywhere and plop it on the correct vlan. It will still have to be on the correct physical segment so it gets routed correctly..

Like I said I think i'm missing some small critical part here that when I get it the light will go on and all will become clear. This is the only real sticking point im having at the moment with all the CCNA points.

Thanks in advance
    Bruce

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, maybe CCNA SEC
  2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

You need a router or layer 3 switch to communicate between the vlans. This is how the clients would get to a file server. With this you would also implement ACLs so you could control what subnet or hosts can communicate with each other.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. The Editor

The Editor Bit Poster

Ok, so it is that simple. So long story short all i'm really doing is breaking up broadcast domains, that's it.

Thanks
    Bruce

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, maybe CCNA SEC