VLAN and WiFi Bridge...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Denver Maxwell, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

VLAN's Aint yet my thing, but i was wondering if some of you could take a quick look at this and see if it makes sense to you (ive only used VLAN in virtual environments, for testing and segregation of test environments).

Basically i wish to know if it will be possible to bridge 2 VLANs (VLAN-70 and VLAN-80) over a WiFi Bridge, i want the networks to be kept separate as there are two subnets providing very different locations.

At the moment there is a bridge in effect with two routers / Nat / DHCP servers (very old cheep and ...) at the other side serving the two networks and keeping them separate (although the net access passes through the same bridge and firewall). Only problem is network management is impossible without a trip to the other side and it is impossible to get user bandwidth usage stats from the other side. It needs updating in a big way. We can’t tell how is killing the internet!

If you can have a look at the image it will make it easier to understand.

Im thinking at the moment of using 2 * D-Link DES 3010FA Managed switches and 2 * DWL-3200AP Access Points in Bridge mode as they claim to be able to support up to 4 VLAN’s...

Question is do I need VLAN specific WiFi or not?
    Would this work!!!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Denver

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  2. Denver Maxwell

I am hoping this explains the issue, ultimatly the real question is if a transparent point to point bridge will block or drop IEEE 802.1Q VLAN tagged frames.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/20018-17-vlan-operation-transparent-bridging

Anyone got anything to add here? .... anything...

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

We use some cheap RepeatIT ones and they work perfectly well with our vlans

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

I beleive this topic would come under the PASSIVE RECON stage of my ethical hacking course at uni :)

5. Denver Maxwell

:) indeed, its a shame the network dont exist, and that i have a fairly different one in mind, however its more the technical aspects. When it comes to hackin the wifi, there are pretty serious defences lol they start with A and end with K. :S actualy we are talking a link of 250m under canopy and we can only use the latest and greatest toys in the defence of a network. fibre would be my preference though :)

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Denver Maxwell

lol i over stated that point, actually its only 250m (as noted in the post above) it is possible to get silly with distance you know I’ve done a link over 7km before using pretty simple kit. http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna-24-yagi-20yn.htm
    I am at the moment looking at using http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsWirelessControllers/AccessPoints/WG103.aspx
    However its not the distance that im interested in its the running IEEE_802.1Q VLAN over a WiFi in transparent bridge mode.
    Ultimately it seems that the only sure way is to test it :rolleyes: $