Visually impaired

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Joanna Penn, May 31, 2017.

1. Joanna Penn

Joanna Penn New Member

Hi. My name is Jo. And I'm looking at Training in IT then working in the sector - I like the idea of Cyber Security.

But I'm severely sight impaired- a little vision in left eye.
    Where do I start with CompTIA A+ ? I've been looking at Training companies and there is nowhere local that is cost effective.

Thanks.

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi,

Do you have any experience in IT? Cyber Security is not always a first step but there can be less technical security rules such as auditing, risk management etc.

Training wise I would consider Security+, CISMP, Information Security Foundation based on ISO27002 and Cyber Security Fundamentals all of these can be studied via self-studying which is much cheaper then a training company and you get the same results.

Certifications: A few.
    Joanna Penn likes this.
  3. Joanna Penn

Joanna Penn New Member

I have some limited experience- but mainly theory.
    Currently doing Network + and Security +

I live in a funny part of the UK - work is limited but enquirer about volunteering my services to local companies.

JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm of no help in the CompTIA certs sorry other than Security+, but it sounds like you are on the right track going for the A+, N+ and Sec+. I found the Security+ fascinating, and probably my most enjoyable cert to date. No doubt this is where your interest in Cyber is coming from. Best of luck with your studies. I'm pretty sure you can self study for the A+ and CompTIA do a free trial of something they call CertMaster here, which looks good, but I've no idea on cost sorry. If you live in a remote part of the world I would also allow for some time to research who you could potentially work for in your area. Figure out where would be practical to travel to and from just to build up a picture of what your options could be. You may have to move for work as some of us have had to, but hopefully not. You could also look into things like becoming a technical author from home, a blogger, that sort of thing. You could focus on tips and tricks you've learned help others. I think that would be very handy if it doesn't exist already.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs