Vista's driver problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Vista's problems are beginning to hit the mainstream media. In an article published on February 29 the New York Times quotes internal MS email from a MS executive saying the vast majority of hardware incompatibility in Vista is MS's fault. Turns out MS made massive changes just before RTM and that is what screwed up the works. It appears from these emails that the works are screwed up so badly that many missing drivers may never be written.

All this is coming out from the Vista Ready vs Vista Capable flap. Turns out even a very high up MS official or two was so confused by this they got stung themselves when purchasing laptops. They bought machines thinking they would be able to run Vista, only to find out they wouldn't. (That is not in this article. I read it elsewhere.)

Here is a quote from the article.
    You can read the rest of the article at the following link.

http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_002570DE00740E18002573FE006B7266.html?ref=technology

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Never had a problem with all 4 of my vista systems, but cheers for your usual MS BS :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. ffreeloader

Yeah, isn't it something how I can manufacture newspaper articles out of thin air, fake internal emails by the chief of Windows development, fabricate evidence that MS decided to play buddies with Intel to screw their own customers, etc.... I am amazingly powerful.... :twisted:

What an imagination I have. To think that I thought up all this on my own.... :dry

4. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

er, none of that makes sense:

The video & audio for vista are completely different to xp, so of course you dont get Aero with an xp driver.
    If they stopped making your video card 3 or 4 years ago, how can you expect them to write new drivers.

vista is not xp, & xp is not vista. new os=new drivers

im running a dell laptop with vista, & it works fine

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

New operating system doesn’t support old hardware shocker! :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Do ya believe everything you read in the papers? Lets be fair, your the most biased person here when it comes to MS. All im saying is ive never had a problem with any of my vista systems, end of.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. ffreeloader

Raffaz,

The MS emails and all the evidence I pointed to is coming out of documents that a judge ordered to be released in the latest class action lawsuit against MS. So, if this not to be believed, then nothing coming out of any court proceeding should be believed. And, MS is not denying that the emails are real. They can't. They came out of their own records.

They have just stepped into "it" once again through their shady dealings. If they would change their way of doing business they wouldn't have all these things happening to them or being written about them on a regular basis. If they would simply stop being corrupt then you wouldn't hear about them being corrupt all the time.

Why hearing they are corrupt bothers you I don't know. Are you heavily invested in MS? I mean, I don't make this stuff up. To me, all you guys that get mad at me for posting these stories are just shooting the messenger. That seems to me to be an exercise in frustration as it can't change anything because this stuff is all over the internet and the mainstream news. If you're really tired of hearing about MS screwing up again and again start telling MS. Tell them you're sick of their corruption. They're the ones responsible for what they are doing, not me. All I do just post here about it.

8. ffreeloader

It seems to me you missed the point of Sinofsky's email. He is saying that between the second beta release and RTM that MS changed made massive changes in Vista's foundations that affected video and audio. That is why there are so many missing drivers, and why some will never be written.

I've heard it repeated again and again that "it's not Microsoft's fault the manufacturers didn't get drivers written". Well, Sinofsky's email disproves that point. MS was the self-admitted cause of the driver problems. There is no one to blame but them. They did it to themselves and their customers.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The point is... most of US aren't really affected by these supposed (and oft-mentioned) "screw-ups". We're not sick of their corruption. We're not affected negatively by what they're doing.

My Vista box ran just great with old hardware (circa 2002). With the exception of my Creative sound card, drivers were available for ALL of my gear, even during the beta release days of Vista... and the Creative drivers were out near enough to the time Vista was released to make me happy.

Freddy... it's not the reporting that people dislike... it's the spin that they are perceiving that many of them likely have a problem with. Just a guess.

Do I think Microsoft is perfect? Far from it. But they're not any more (nor any less) evil than any other company out there.

YOU are sick of their "corruption". Fine, we get that - we hear that often. YOU are sick of what Microsoft is doing (or, "screwing up"). We get that too. If YOU don't want to support Microsoft, that's great! If YOU don't want to purchase Microsoft's products, then excellent - you've found great alternatives. But most of the rest of us... who are likely just as intelligent as you, and just as informed as you... are just fine with what we get from Microsoft, more or less. We have simply come to a different decision than you have come to.

Thus... this news article is largely a non-issue to most people.

Please, I encourage you to continue to post these articles. More information is always better than less information. But don't be shocked when many people perceive it as simply more anti-MS propaganda, regardless of where you got it from. :) Cheers! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually Mike, I don't really think the posts Freddy makes even fall into the unwanted category, like you say, we like to hear this stuff, we like to know, and Freddy often finds stuff we don't

I think the issue is that Freddy ONLY posts anti MS stuff, I have never seen him once post about how some OSS company ****ed up, violated the GPL, screwed it's users or whatever, sad fact is it happens, OSS is a business, like it or not, and when you get capitalists involved you get shady operations

Freddy comes across very one sided, and that's why people jump on him whenever he posts.. fortunately for us Freddy is a good sport and accepts that his point of view gets him some stick :)

Keep posting Freddy, but as such an OSS evangelist I would expect to see posts related to OSS (good and bad) far more than I see posts related to MS (usually only bad with you ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well said, Ryan. That clarifies it nicely!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!