Vista: Unable to Open Control Panel

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've actually solved this myself, but felt it might be helpful to post the information here.

Symptom: Unable to open the control panel in Vista. When trying to open, the window opens for ~10 seconds, before vanishing. No error message presents itself.

Resolution: Ensure that the Software Licensing Service is running. If this service is not running, CP will not load. This may also affect some other windows (ie, I couldnt open Windows Update from the help files either).

Hope this helps other people.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Noted! :biggrin

If you need to change the hosts file you need to open it as the administrator. Noticed this today when setting up a VPN connection on a laptop. When I went to save the changes it would not let me save over the original hosts files. It was a 'WTF?' moment for me. :biggrin

Maybe this should be Vista help and support thread?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Fergal 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks fergal, just to add to that, some of the other symptoms are opening the CP and all you see is the blank control panel window but with no icons inside.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks for that will come in handy when eventually I won't have any choice but to move over to vista :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009