Vista & the Action Pack - Upgrade only!

Discussion in 'Software' started by madman045, Jan 25, 2007.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Well it would seem that we only get the upgrade version in the Action Pack and no clean install cd keys.

So it now means we have to buy Vista Business separately in order to use it :(

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Im sure we got the full version although one of my workmates installed it. No mention of an upgrade though. Is there different versions of the Action Pack?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. madman045

Well i will contact the Action Pack people tomorrow, however the DVD i have with me says on it

Microsoft Windows Vista Business Upgrade and it comes with five CD keys

If this is the case, then its not much use to us really.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well it depends. I had an XP virtual machine that I set up just to test it out. I forgot about that you need at least 8 GB just to install it. I ended up 'adding' another 8GB disk to the VM and installed a 'clean' install on the second HD.

If I remember rightly most of the other 'upgrade' versions from MS also included the option to make a clean full install.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

True, every upgrade product to date has been able to do a clean install as well, it will just ask for a previous version media ie you have to shove the XP *CD* in at some point and then t will carry on installing.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. madman045

Right, i installed vista last night, if you dont have XP already installed, you only get the option to do a clean install, however the cd keys supplied with it, are for upgrades only and activation fails telling you this.

So you do have to have XP installed and upgrade from it in order to be able to activate Vista.

So i will try this tonight, all else fails, just buy business OEM.

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Do you get Ultimate or just the Business version with the Action Pack?

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

According to the link above its Vista business. It also says this in the smallprint **** In some regions, Microsoft will provide the UPGRADE version of the Windows Vista desktop operating system within Action Pack, which is consistent with how this product is distributed to our Volume Licensing customers.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's total crap. It's gonna be awfully difficult for someone to study Vista using the Action Pack if they don't already have XP. :x

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Is your book going to include a trial verison of Vista? :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. madman045

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you have XP, the Action Pack will upgrade you to Vista Business.

Done it!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. BosonMichael

Sorry, didn't see this post, Zim. I'm not sure if it will or not, but I suspect it will not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

How do you figure that BBM? The action pack has some XP licenses in it so all you need to do is install one of them and then upgrade to vista.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for that link madman, that may well be the answer even if it does mean having to go through the install routine twice.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. BosonMichael

At some point, new Action Pack subscribers WON'T have XP licenses... just like Action Pack subscribers now don't typically have Win2K Pro licenses or NT 4 Workstation licenses.

18. madman045

I did it last night and i am now posting this from Vista business

I just need to download all the Acer drivers for my laptop as there is one thing in device manager vista doesn't have a driver for.

Things seem responsive, only with 1GB ram and i've got the sidebar gadget bug! :D

Office 2007 is a huge install, with everything is 2.2GB, then add Visio and Project and your not far off 4GB!

19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That might be true but in all honesty, who here is studying NT4? Would it make sense to include NT4 and Win2K licenses in the Action Pack for someone that passes their first MCP and gets the Action Pack in two years time?

In two years from now it wouldn't make sense to include XP licenses to the new subscribers as we are all vista'd up.

20. BosonMichael

You're not getting my point. People who get the Action Pack in the future (brand new, from scratch) will most likely get Vista, and NOT get XP (they ONLY get the latest client release). Now, follow me... if they get the Vista upgrade in the Action Pack... and they don't have an OS they can upgrade from (like XP)... then they cannot install Vista. Get what I'm saying?