Vista stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jun 10, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK im chatting to someone from the US who claims to have a pc that is now running vista, tho he only has a 60 gig hd and a 1 gig processor and only 256 ram this surely is a wind up right ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Not really, even though XP says minimum spec etc i've got a m8 that has it ran on a P133MHz and its slow as ****.

The specs are guidelines, but you'll always find some idiots running it on slower spec machines and think it runs fine...

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

tell me about it...why not just get a souped up machine instead? whats the idea of running an OS that requires more kick? its like putting a Ferrari engine in a Mini (the classic ones that is!) how many times has this been said by the way? :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well I'm running it in a vm at the moment on the recommended minimum specs. It runs okay but to get the most you really need a fast cpu and lots of ram.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well if you put a Ferarri engine in a mini it would be fast as *!*!. Ok you may burn out the transmission in short order, but it would still be damn fast. :)

I'd liken putting Vista on a low spec PC as to putting a moped engine in a mini. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well put it this way...Vista needs a minimum of 15GB HDD space...but 20GB is more sufficient...so someone running Vista on a machine thats got 40GB of space is asking for it...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

to be fair, the chassis would propably be ripped apart before that!

if we're doing car analogies how about, it's like putting a speed governor on a diablo.....? :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hmmm, quick question.... Whats Vista??

Dont mean to sound stupid

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  9. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Vista 8)

EDIT: Damn it d, you're just too fast! :biggrin