Vista SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by michael78, Mar 13, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Anyone know when Vista SP1 is out. I'd read that it was available now through Windows Update but it aint showing for me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

As reported on my (WIP!) blog!

Alas these dates appear to have passed and have been changed....to heaven knows what! :oops:

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It seems to me that Windows XP has been the most stable & best windows yet.

Although I did like Windows for Workgroups when that was around :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Its available on Technet. I've been running it on both my machines and not had a problem.

It did fix a problem I was having with putting Vmware workstation on my vista 64bit machine.

WIP: A+ Network+
  5. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

6. michael78

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

From the website:

Microsoft has released the RTM version of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 on January 4th and removed any links to the RC1 version, therefore until an official release is made we are forced to remove all external download links. However, if you still wish to try the release candidate version of SP1, feel free to download it from our servers.

:(

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I always hate it when people spout things like this. XP was released in October 2001. Its had seven years of patching to make it what you see today. In reality, XP was probably very similar to Vista is now, in terms of stability. MS have yet to change their development system, to prevent a release before the systems is completely stable. In 7 years time, Im sure we will be complaining that the new OS is nowhere near as stable as Vista. Its just a fact of life.

Consider this: Is it cheaper to hire 1000 testers for 2 years, to test the OS before release; or to hire 500 testers for 6 months, release to the public, and have the minimum wage (outsourced, so even cheaper) frontline team take the higher levels of calls about bugs/issues, then have your developers release patches for the OS (something they would have been doing anyway, so you arent paying them any more than before).

And before I start hearing any complaints about how 'its unethical' or 'open source dont do it' - Utter tripe. Open source are even MORE in line with releasing it and having people test things. They rely on that method to keep costs as low as possible. Admittedly, open source OS' such as Linux tend to have their 'Stable' release, and the next gen release both freely available, so that those who wish to, can help test the beta version, but even then, the stable releases are going to have bugs, that they rely on the user base finding for them. If this werent the case, why is it that my debian install was getting new updates at least once a week, and often every couple of days?

Its a fact of nature that no piece of software larger than a few lines of code can ever be 100% free of bugs. Every time you patch a bug, you are potentially adding another bug to the system.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

I have the version for x86 & x64 and its 1.13GB, if I remember right you can download just x86 or x64

WIP: A+ Network+
  10. michael78

I wish they would just release the bloody thing as it's been finalised so I don't see the point of witholding it.

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

you can download Vista SP1 now from their website here. Just make sure you have the required files first of all, see here & here.

For the whole info, see here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That's because their volume license and software assurance customers (like me and WagnerK) are now testing their beta er I mean final release version for you. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. michael78

lol too true :biggrin