Vista Release Date!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Aug 31, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Read it here looks like the boys in Redmond have finally sorted it...lets hope there are no last minute changes...:biggrin I wont be preordering my copy yet...but soon I shall I hope otherwise I just get it when it arrives..

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

If they make that launch date, I'll eat my keyboard. I certainly won't be pre-ordering it either. Most of the hardware to really take advantage of Vista won't be available and affordable until the second half of 2007 anyway (never mind the waiting for the updates from MS that will allow Vista to support it all).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well am just glad my 64 bit X2 CPU will be arriving next week...then I know I am all set and ready for when Vista is released...

4. Baba O'Riley

Ahh but are you? You'll be able to run it yes, but do you have a hybrid hard drive, an EFI motherboard with a TPM, a graphics card that supports DirectX 10 and HDCP, and a load of Sideshow enabled devices? From what I've read, there's no advantage in using Vista yet, and certainly no advantage in building a "Vista-ready" PC until it launches.

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Baba...u seen the spec I am currently using? the Vista builds I have been running have worked fine on that so far...and when I show u my new spec I know for sure the Vista builds (and RC1 when thats released) will not be a problem at all...and I am pretty sure ATI X1300 cards support DirectX 10...:biggrin its all good man...

6. Baba O'Riley

Yeah, I'm not saying you won't be able to run it. What I'm saying is, until the hardware is available to make it really worthwhile upgrading, I don't see the point.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Must admit I’m looking forward to Vista being released as it will give me an excuse to upgrade my PC. I’m slightly concerned about what graphics card I will need as my mobo only supports AGP 4x, any thoughts Noel? You seem to be clued up on hardware! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

AGP 4x...oooh you are bordering there my dear boy...altho saying that I know most AGP cards are backward compatible...so I would go for an ATI 9600XT or if you can stretch to a 9800XT then you should be fine, I am using a 9600XT and Vista has no problems with it at all...but from next week I wont be on that, you will see my sig change with my new spec...oooh boy I cant wait..:D so I think you will be fine for now...but my question would be how old is your motherboard? Mine is 2 and half yrs old and Vista had no problems with it either apart from one niggling update that crashes the system but other than that no major problems

9. Sparky

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I think you should be fine then mate...if I were you I would get Vista RC1 when its released so you can test your machine and see how it runs before getting the full version...that way you know what it is u will need...RC1 should be released sometime in Sept hopefully...so watch this space...

11. Sparky

Will do that I think, I have all the Vista builds sitting on my desk at work (the joy of Technet!), might take one home and fire it up on my home PC. If a new PC is needed after xmas to run Vista then that wouldnt be a bad thing! :biggrin

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

that why they release beta versions my dear boy...Vista is in fact the first Windows OS I have ever tested...and I have to say I am pleased...

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Maybe it's just me, but I feel I know you kinda well, Noel, you being one of our most prominent Geordie (formerly Scots based) members, but I can't help thinking that you sound a hell of a like Chris Eubank at times !! You don't happen to lisp* at all, do you ? :tongue

*<not trying to be unkind, as Missus is a speech therapist, so I know these things are serious>

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. Sparky

Ahhhh, now it all makes sense! :biggrin