Vista DNS resolve to DC

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by ClassicD, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Hi

I setup my DC, DNS and DHCP on my physical server 2003.

Connected XP VM to my domain, but the vista VM fails...

It tells me that the DNS name cannot be resolved to the DC, make sure the client can resolve this DNS...etc

Any ideas on whats going on??
    If this is in the wrong thread please let me know...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I would look at which vNic's your xp and Vista machines are connected to and what mode they are running in; bridged etc. Chances are you want to replicate the vNic settings that Xp has to the Vista one. An ipconfig /all on both would confirm if they are running on the same network or not as well.

You Xp and vista vm's are probably on different networks so if your DC has an ip of 192.168.1.1/24 and Xp has 192.168.1.10/24 your vista one might be something like 192.168.220.4/24. I think I read somewhere you were using Virtual PC is that right, if so its probably handing out the 192.168.220.x address (or similar with its own in built DHCP server, hence vista cannot connect to the DC.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply your right im runnung VPC...

However both machines are in the 10.0.1.0/24 subnet and both running on the same NIC from the physical 2003 server.

The vista VM has even taken an IP address from the DHCP scope i can see that in my DHCP pool, but cannot resolve the DNS name for the DC...are there any common vista DC connection issues i should know?

The DNS,DHCP,gateway IP's are all the same in both IP configs...

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Is the vista firewall switched off, Can you ping xp, DC, gateway by IP or dns name?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  5. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

I haven't tried switching the vista VM firewall off that maybe a good idea to start troubleshooting with something else.

I can ping both machines with the IP however i haven't tried pinging with DNS name...

I will try both, what do you think may be the issue...if, the DNS name doesn't ping and even when i switch the firewall off it still doesn't connect...

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

if you can ping xp ,dc and the gateway from within the vista vm then its just a plain old dns issue, which could be caused by a rather agressive firewall setting so switching it off would be your best bet. It would also be a good idea to keep it off as well as not many domains use the inbuilt firewall (due to the security at the networks perimiter) as it just causes more confusion and headaches than its worth.

I can't really think of anything else it can be other than the firewall causing the issue, but if the issue persists could you post the results of ipconfig /all from xp,dc and your vista machine please as that may well help us.

7. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Try joining the vista computer to the workgroup and then join it to the domain again. Also delete the old computer name in Active Directory.

Maybe using old unique identifier.

You may want to put in the DNS IP address to point your DNS server in TCP/IP settings.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

As far as I can see vista has not been joined to the domain yet as dns resolution fails.

9. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Have you checked the DNS Client in services has started and check the advanced configuration in DNS tab in TCP/IP settings?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  10. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

OK

I Disabled vista VM Firewall and tried to connect to DC, this never worked...

I checked the DNS client service and used static IP addressing in all TCP/IP configurations...didn't work

I tried flushingDNS and didn't work...the thing is, my DC is showing up in my arp table also...

I was unable to ping DC DNS name from vista VM...so how do i fix vista DNS issues...

I have attached a few configs to look at...the top is Vista VM and the bottom is XP VM, in the middle is the message from vista VM...to be honest i can't see anything out of place here...

o_O...I think half this post should be in Networking now.

Attached Files:

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

what is 10.0.1.1 is that a router? as you would wan to point you dns settings at you DC and just use the router as the gateway device, thats probably why its not working. Might be that for xp resolved the name by netbois but vista didn't.

12. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

That is my DC, I have created a seperate network for this from my home network, im unable to utilise the router because other people are using it.

Im installing 7 from scratch and immedialty connecting to DC...lets see if this has issues...

13. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Ok so how is the network physically laid out you have a physical DC and is that connected to a standalone switch with another computer connected to that hosting both VPC VM's, which I'm guessing is completely isolated from your home network (no physical connection at all). What os is the host running (is it xp/ vista etc).

14. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

I hope you don't mind helping me out...

Ok my host is running server 2003, your right my host NIC which i use for my VM's is connected to a standalone switch...no other systems involved at the moment..no physical conection to a gateway router, i use a seperate WirelessNIC for my home network...

I think it may be my DNS settings because 7 has the same issue, but i can't understand why XP can resolve my DNS server name but the others can't...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

would you be able to do an NSlookup from xp/vista/server computer and see what results you get. for example if your domain controller is called dc.domain.local then run nslookup from the dos prompt and type dc.domain.local from each vm and physical and see what results you get.

As you say it has to be a dns issue, also can you post some results of doing a "ping -a 10.0.1.1" from all of the vm's as that should resolve the IP address to a hostname so you should get a nice consistant "Reply from dc.domain.local etc etc ".

16. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Thanks

Will try these methods later..will let you know the outcome.

17. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

I run nslookup and everything fine. I can see my DC.

While in nslookup i was able to see my DC and DNS server by typing in my "domain", however when i type in my "domain.local" the DC is fine but the DNS server request timed out...

I ran "ping -a 10.0.1.1" and it works everything is in the arp table...
    Still can't connect though...

Edit: This problem is fixed now..i tried a few of your methods over again and success, also i have to put in the primary DNS suffix manually...repped for helping me...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011