Vista Beta

Discussion in 'Software' started by kat731, Sep 7, 2006.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    got my Vista beta from MS last week... quite good fun.. Runs fine on my GX260, put xtra ddr in though! Bought a 128mb gfx just to see what this areoglass thing was all about!! Seemed to pick everything up apart from the raid card Vt6421. Connects workgroups easier than i thought.. Anyway i know its only the beta, but was worth the look..

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I got the latest Release Candidate 1 build 5600...its the best one yet thats out and my machine which some of the parts are over 2yrs old run fine no problem...only issue is the sound card but other than that everything else is fine...runs most things that I want it to run...now am just waiting for my X2 4400AMD CPU and its dual core 64bit computing all the way baby :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Good one Noel, sounds like a nice machine
    Kat

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well the current spec is on my sig as u can see...but by the weekend that will all change...so watch this space...lol...

5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Noel, I hope you can get a refund on that AMD, their prices are dropping faster than Pamela Anderson's knickers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well why would I want a refund when I bought it for £136? and if u ask me thats the cheapest I could get it...and £136 is better than either £150, £200 or even £350...so I wouldnt want a refund...and besides AMD have stopped making the 4400 CPUs altogether....so I had to get it now or not get it at all...

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Kat

did you have any troubles getting connected to the net with VISTA? I just cannot seem to get mine online. All i can think of is that the protocols worng.. its asking to use PPPOa(? i think , might have been b) when i need PPPOe.
    Everything else seems fine except for the UNKNOWN device it keeps trying to install by connecting to the net. How can i update drivers for a device when i dont even know what it is?? damn stooopid vista!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

what modem are you using twizzle and do u have all the latest possible drivers for it? if I am being very honest mate I wouldnt use USB modems...I have an ethernet modem and as soon as I installed Vista and logged into it, it connected to the Net automatically and I didnt have to touch anything...when ur on Telewest anythings possible :biggrin

9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Fair enoungh, that's a good price :D .

Twizzle, is it recognising your USB modem in Device Manager? You may not be able to get compatible drivers for it. Try the Windows XP ones if all else fails.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Twizz,
    ok, it didnt find - sound/ethernet(onboard)/and smmit else i cant remember, but XP drivers from Dell worked fine. No problem wi-fi connection-usb belkin. Could be the encapsulation, just a ? of u playing about!!

Kat

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thats what I love about Vista...challenges and how to overcome them :D best part playing around with Vista...I mean like I said most of my drivers were installed, the only thing I need to install are the printer drivers and me webcam drivers...I mean it even installed the drivers for me TV card :eek: which I thought was weird..lol...but I dont watch TV so I might lose it soon...saying that since I will be on dual core soon I may just get a USB DVB stick instead...hmmm good idea I think...oh by the way Kat, what motherboard u using and how old is it?

12. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Its just a Dell OEM board, Intel 845G chipset, 2.4ghz.

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ah I see...lol...Intel...hmmm...I say thats weird it didnt install the drivers for you...cos the RC1 5600 build does just that...installs most of the basic drivers and then its just a case to see if your motherboard manufacturer has Vista drivers available...now if u have an ATI graphics card ATI have Vista drivers for the RC1 of Vista...:D top notch I say...

14. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Big AMD fan eh!!!
    hey, came out of a company cheap... 2.4ghz for 60 quid, runs vista... :D

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

oh yes I am a big AMD and ATI fan indeed...so glad they have now joined forces...watch those motherboards and graphics go wild soon...hehe...not bad a price for a 2.4GHz CPU there kat...lol...thats good indeed...