Vista and WPA

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by mojorisin, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I have a Acer Aspire 5050 Laptop with Vista Basic that seems to connect no problem to 2 different wireless access points one Belkin and one Netgear The Belkin does WEP and WPA and the Netgear does WEP WPA And WPA2

Now the problem seems to be when connecting to the Belkin using WPA it can see the wireless point but will not connect to it although it works fine if you use WEP or no encryption

There seems to be a lot of discussion on the web regarding this does anyone else have any thoughts on Vista with the bog standard WPA rather than WPA2 seems strange that it will connect via the older WEP but not the newer WPA

although did have a tosh laptop connecting via WPA to the Belkin so maybe its just the Acer laptop that is the problem

any thoughts ?

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Belkin: great for cables and KVMs... not so great for WAPs and UPSs. Stick with brands that are known for high-quality home routers and WAPs, like Netgear and Linksys.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I know there not the best but seems very odd that Vista on an Acer would spit the dummy out when trying to connect to it using WPA but the Toshiba one with Vista would

Thanks for the reply hopefully going to replace the Router soon with a Linksys model

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Different laptops use different wireless chipsets. Some chipsets connect to some model WAPs better than others.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

only ever bought one belkin product and that was a wireless NIC for my shuttle and it was a complete b*tch to install. With XP it was fighting with the Windows wireless software but then wouldnt detect and work at all if i didnt install the belkin software and then when i did get it installed the signal didnt have a great strength. then i installed Vista (dual boot) it was installed with the o/s and worked with the WPA fine and had a better signal too :confused2

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

grim, aren't drivers fun :) as far as the problem with the access points i would check the drivers for your wifi card and make sure you have the latest firmware on your wap.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP