Virus hits Windows-based cashpoints

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Dec 9, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

[​IMG]<font size="3">Virus hits Windows-based cashpoints</font>

Cashpoints at two US banks have been infected by viruses, with similar breaches tipped to become more common. Automatic teller machines at two banks running Microsoft's popular Windows software were infected by a computer virus in August, the maker of the machines said on Monday. The ATM infections, first reported by SecurityFocus.com, are believed to be the first of a computer virus wiggling directly onto cash machines.

View: The full story

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Oh duh! Now, if I'm thinking about opening up an account at a new bank, I'm going to have to ask what operating system, firewall, and anti-virus software are on their ATMs and make sure they keep their patches up to date! :eek:
    2. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      That is unbelievably worrying - that these multi-nationals are using the prime target OS for virus-writers.

I know Sandy has recently, and very rightly made the point that Windows comes out the box "wide open", and needs to be locked down by Sys Admins.

But that these companies are using Windows for consumer-based systems, clearly without sufficiently capable security measures (and the Sys Admins to implement them) is rather frightening.

And as for this
      I've just bought a new microwave, and so far, even before installing ZoneAlarm on it, I've escaped a major security breach :microwave