Virtual server infrastructure...

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi guys/gals,

Following on from this poll, I was wondering if those that are already 100% virtualised (or almost there) provide some input.

We will be virtualising all our server this summer (provided my budget doesn't change too much). 3 options have been discussed and looked into:

1. Blade server with iSCSI SAN
    2. 2 heavy duty servers with iSCSI SAN or
    3. The IBM modular server (has built-in storage)

I am heavily leaning towards option 3, due to costs as well as having the storage built-in; it offers faster transfer speeds (the iSCSI SAN would be over copper not fibre due to costs). We are currently planning to virtualise 16 servers, plus upgrade 1 of our core switches to a layer 3 switch.

Now those with 100% virtualised servers (or those almost there), would you be able to tell me what problems you encountered? Plus if there were other options that you investigated, as I may have missed one?

Thanks

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security