Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by mallet, Apr 5, 2007.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Hi all

Ive been told by training providers ICS london, that I need to get some project work in.
    As Home work, Ive been told to download Virtual PC which is very helpfull setting up multiple coms on one PC or my case a Laptop.

The concept is good and works but I dont know how to get Windows server 2003 or windows XP Pro.
    I was givin a link via microsoft for a trial version of XP pro but how do I get a trial version of windows Server 2003?

would something like this help:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCSA-MCSE-S...862352?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175700037&sr=1-21

As that kit has a trial version of Windows server 2003.

Thanks in advance.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You could try looking here.

There are all sorts of trial versions from MS that you will need in the future too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the link nugget.
    Do you know if that trial windows server 2003 requires something called x64 32bit operating system?
    As I just tried the xp pro trial I download, and comes up with a message that my computer hasnt got the x64 32bit operating system.

4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

X64 is refering to your processor, its not 64 bit. You need to download the 32 bit version AKA X86

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Awesome it worked. Thanks nugget and Raffaz, you lot have help me so much. Nice one. :thumbleft

Edit:

I notice on the virtual PC computer it can optain an IP address from my wireless router. But it cant go on the internet, or ping the router.
    Is this just the way Virtual PC works?

6. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi There

If the virtual machine is set to use the hosts NIC and configured with the appropriate tcp/ip settings u can get it to go online.

Just ask if u need further help

Regards

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I only have xp home, is there anything I can do apart from getting xp pro so I can get virtual pc?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You need to make sure that in the virtual PC network settings that you selected the (Bridged network) option. Let us know more on how you configured your virtual PC's and the networking options etc. Cheerio.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell