Virtual PC server 2008 r2 time issues

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by gosh1976, Aug 7, 2010.

1. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I have windows server 2008 r2 set up using virtual pc and the clock is constantly getting messed up. Seems like anytime the machine is hibernated or even when the screen saver comes on when I log back in the time can be hours off. I don't have this issue on anything else I've installed using virtual Pc including Windows 7, XP, centos....

I thought there was going to be a time synchronization tab in the clock settings but it's not there. I tried to set up time synchronization from the command line but that just gave me an error. Although it was late when I tried it and I don't remember the error. Though I would see if you guys had any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Is it a domain controller?

If it is you need to manually configure it to sync with external time source.

Run:
    Code:
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:pool.ntp.org /reliable:yes
    w32tm /config /update
    from the command prompt (elevated of course) to fix it

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

It is a domain controller and that is what I tried to run from the command line. I think I was either typing something wrong or not running it from an elevated prompt.

It seems to have worked this time! Thanks!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA