Virtual PC RIS Problems

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by datarunner, Mar 11, 2007.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi All

I am trying to setup RIS via virtual pc. I have the server 2003 setup as a dc with dhcp, dns and ris services and have run and completed the risetup wizard and got the installation files etc on a separate partition.

I have created an xp client (no OS on there) and tried enabling the pxe nic and the boot boot floppy methods but cannot connect to the server.

I either get an invalid media error or no reply from a dhcp server.

All nics are using the hosts nic.

Any ideas?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How is the clients NIC configured? Host Only Networking? What about the Server?

Never tried a RIS setup on a virtual system before so don't know if its possible, can't see any reason why not though.

8)

3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Had the setup with both server and client using the host pcs nic. Seems to run perfectly if i change the settings to use the virtual nic (local only setting in virtual pc)

Maybe my router interferes with it.

I have created an unattended answer file on the server called remboot.sif. Can anyone tell me where this goes? It put it in the i386 dir on the server share but the client doesnt seem to be reading it.

All help appreciated

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Not quite sure but it might be a problem that both virtual machines are trying to use the one NIC (the host's).

It just seemed like a possibility as you mentioned that it worked okay when using the virtual nic's.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You need to associate the answer file with the RIS server. Have a look here.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

It is possible to use Virtual PC for doing RIS installs thats what i did and you can even use the floppy disc aswell if the nic wont boot

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi Buddy

Thanks for that. I followed the instructions on the link regarding associating the image and have the option to choose the the automated install in OS Chooser but im still prompted for a product key etc.

Dunno whats up. Maybe ive missed something.

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm, it could be you made a mistake when putting the key into the answer file. If during the installation any problems are detected in the answers you provided for the installation, it will prompt the user instead. Could be what's happening with the key.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada