Virtual PC no Internet access

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rob1234, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have set up a windows server 2003 but I am having problems with the Internet access. The only way I can get it to let me access the Internet is via shared networking (nat) If I set select my network card from the virtaual pc and configure a static address it will not let me access the internet.

I could leave it as sharing network (nat) but i am using the virtual machine to help me with my 291 exam and that involves me setting a static address but when I do that it stops working :(

I googled it and tried a few of the things it suggested but none of them worked. I can get the network adpater to say connected but it will not actaully let me go on the internet.

Certifications: A few.
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you tried setting the dc with a static IP too then set the card?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Rob1234

Yeah Iset it with one very similiar to the host machines IP address and defualt gateway at one point I could ping google by ip address but not name so I thought it was dns but i still could not get it to work.

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Make the server into a DC and DNS server by running dcpromo and give it a static ip address in the same range as your host. Then type 127.0.0.1 for the DNS server mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Rob1234

I will try this thanks as it is currently not a DC. I will let you know how I get on!

6. Rob1234

That still did not work :( When it was setting up the dns because it had no internet connection it did not find the root hint files.

7. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Mate you tried checking the virtual pc network settings if its set to local change it mate

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  8. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What you are trying to achieve here is possible, but your setup has to be just right for it to work. Here is what I would suggest ...

You have a virtual DC, on this DC ensure that it has two virtual NIC's. Call one Internal and make sure that it's got a static address and can only access the internal / private network. (set this in the hardware settings for the VM). The second NIC should have full access to your local physical network and should be just left to obtain an IP automatically (assuming you have a router/switch that is acting as a simple DHCP server). If you don't, then make sure it's set to a static address with all the correct setting for the subnet & gateway of whatever is providing your internet access. (note: The internal nic should not have a gateway set, only the external nic should have this).

Now on this DC (which should also be running an AD integrated DNS server) you will want to setup RRAS and within that NAT. Obviously when it asks you which connection will be providing Internet access, pick the external nic.

One final step will be to find out what the DNS addresses are for your ISP, then set one or both of these up as forwarders on the DNS server on your DC.

That's how I have setup test VM's in the past and it's worked pretty well.

edit: Would be a good idea to have a DCHP server running on a member server or the virtual DC, and then any virtual clients that are on the virtual network will get their settings automatically and should also be able to hit the Internet (providing the DHCP server has been configured correctly).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Rob1234

Thanks for that I will give it a go and let you know I get on :)