Virtual mcahines

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jan 25, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hello all

Does anyone know of a fix/work around to stop the network setting being shown when creating a virtual machine?

I work in education and the staff let the students create whatever they want, meaning they could also access what they like which can result in all sort of security issues

I can create a VM to have host only settings however one thing I cant do is stop people accessing the network settings of the VM, they can easily go to a NAT or Bridged connection?

Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

Thanks

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Sounds a nitemare. Worked in a few schools and teachers\management can be super hard work (assuming yours are!)

Maybe pre-create them. What are they using to create VMs?

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What software are you using to host the VMs? is it VMware, HyperV / RHEV based?

Ideally you probably need to offer some kind of deployment portal for users to deploy from, you may also want to consider something like View as a gateway if they are desktop type VMs because that's all controlled via either HTML5 or native view clients.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA