Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by MILLWALLFC, Mar 6, 2005.

1. MILLWALLFC

MILLWALLFC Bit Poster

Virtual Machine

I’m waiting on a new pc so I will have enough Ram, am going to be getting 2048DDR.

However I have a few questions, if the PC itself is Windows XP professional, can I just load Windows server 2003 in Virtual machine?

If not I assume I just install Xp pro and windows server 2003 in Virtual machine.

However does anyone have any guides how these should be networked etc, like on a real server and client pc.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The answer to you question is yes Millwallfc. You can have XP Pro as the host OS and you can install what you like as virtual machines and join the host to the virtual domain if you wish 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Bluerinse is correct. Your XP machine will the the host. Your virtual machines (VMs) will be guests and you can install any OS supported by your virtualization software, including Windows Server 2003. You can create any number of VMs and network them anyway you like. You could even create two different subnets and configure a server to act as a router so that they could communicate.

The virtual machines will behave just like a "real" machine. I have spent the weekend installing two Windows 2000 Pro desktops and two Windows 2000 Server (ok, I had other things to do this weekend as well). The longest part was making sure all the critical updates were installed.

I'm also planning on installing a series of Linux boxes as VMs so I can run separate Windows and Linux labs and even eventually mix and match.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. MILLWALLFC

MILLWALLFC Bit Poster

Hi sounds all good, just hope i can set this all up, i think i start with the basics first, just windows 2003 acting as a domain and then a client pc (XP).

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let us know how you get on with your project. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+