Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by wooer, Feb 4, 2008.

1. wooer

wooer Bit Poster

Dear Friends,
    I Have 3.2ghs processor, 1gb ram and using Windows server 2003 ENterprise edition service pack 2.

Now i wanna to install virtual machine ,

whats the best requirement of it.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What virtual machine would you like to run? Those specs should be good enough for testing purposes but it depends on what you will be testing.. can you give us more details please...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The best requirement? :blink

I particularly like the minimum requirement of a 400 MHz processor. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Virtual PC from MS is free to download. You could probably get away with running one or two VMs on that spec machine but many more is going to seriously eat into that 1GB of ram. Especially given Server 2003 is the host OS. I'd stick another gig in if I were you, after all, ram is so cheap now they are giving it away in cereal packets!* :)

*may be bollocks. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

VMWare Server is also free.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Isn't that far more picky about the hardware it will work on though? Could be wrong.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

not particularly i dont think. VMWare Server is designed to be hosted on a server platform. Given that the host in this case is a server, it fits that criteria.

It runs on any standard x86 hardware, etc. More details Here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. wooer

wooer Bit Poster

i just want to instal virtual machinr for testing varios software .
    and now i have 2 gb ram
    give advise for best perfomance.

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just make sure you don't allocate too much ram to each VM and you should be fine. Eg, you could proably get away with 128MB for XP clients and 256MB for servers. You should be able to manage 4 or 5 at the same time and get reasonable speed hopefully.

Ultimately though it's a case of suck it and see. :)