Virtual Machine Software

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tripwire45, Dec 1, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

VMWare vs Virtual PC. Which one? Let the debate begin!

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I think MS has probably silenced a lot of debate with the price, Virtual PC is a third of the cost of VMware! looking at the specs it looks as though they have taken the features one step further as well, I like the look of differencing disks though I think the usefulness of OS/2 support is a bit limited :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

So what you're saying Phil, is that, hands down, both in price and in functionality, Virtual PC is the better buy. There's no contest...no debating the matter...right?

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:D well there's always somebody willing to debate an issue, even if it's just to play Devils Advocate........ especially round here :)

What I do know is that I used the version of connectix Virtual PC before MS took it over and there didn't seem to be a lot between it and VMware, in fact Virtual PC had features like shared folders before VMware. MS apppear to have added more features and set the price at a third of VMware, looks like they want the market :)

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, "problem child" that I am, I have another question. Let's say I have one and only one copy of a Windows OS that came with another computer and I want to create one or more virtual machines with this one disk. I'm relatively sure VMWare wouldn't care but since MS is so protective of its profits, is Virtual PC going to give me static saying the blasted thing is already licensed on some other computer or that I can't create more than one virtual machine with the same disk? Just call me paranoid (or at least somewhat familiar with Microsoft's business practices).

6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Ah, now there's a question and a half :) and one that only time will answer. I think this raises another question about how MS licence their demos, I got the Server 2003 demo with a study guide recently and as expected it is a 180 day crippled version of the enterprise OS. However you are still expected to activate it. I'm not sure exactly how this leaves me in my test environment, am I not allowed to install more than one copy ? I would have to activate every instance that I create while building up and tearing down different scenarios while studying.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's interesting. I posted this query on three different technical forums including this one and the runaway favorite is VMWare. In fact, it's almost unanimous. This, of course could be due to the fact that VMWare is pretty well known and VPC is a bit of a newcomer. Could also be MS's "sterling" reputation that engenders so much trust in their products and business practices. :eek:

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Must have burned everyone else out with the previous thread on VMWare. As you may have guessed, I'm getting closer (finally) to making a purchase of some virtual machine software plus a gig of RAM which will put my long neglected lab machine back in business.

From there on, I can get back on track with my studies for a Microsoft cert or two (I haven't forgotten about you, flex). It's a chunk of change for me to lay down so I tend to obsess awhile, first. I also don't want to just assume that cheaper is better and automatically "knee jerk" towards VPC. I like to get as many points of view as possible and often, I'll see points I'd never have thought up myself.

Looks like we made this a thread of two this time, Phil. Thanks for your input and advice (this doesn't mean the rest of you can't pipe in right now). :wink:

Oops. This just in from http://www.w2knews.com/?id=454

MS Sells Virtual PC 2004 At Steep Discount

Microsoft will begin shipping its Virtual PC 2004 software in early December for $100 less than its previous owner charged. Redmond acquired the products and assets of Connectix last February, will make the updated Virtual PC title available at a retail list price of $129. That's good news for everyone that needs more than one environment on their box!