Virtual Machine Restart Priority

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by craigie, Jul 25, 2012.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

We are all guilty of doing this, we design and install a beautifully crafted vSphere 5 environment following best practises for HA, host isolation responses and we setup our admission control to meet the clients requirements. When then pass the VMware environment back to the client to manage and maintain themselves.

The client has a hardware failure and the VM's are restarted on an alternative host, excellent we say. However the client is far from happy as we didn't mention or configure 'virtual machine restart priority' and they encountered complications as the VM's came up in the wrong order.

Read more http://www.vmfocus.com/2012/07/virtual-machine-restart-priority.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We were guilty of this with our Hyper-V environment, about 4-6 VM all trying to start at the same time; one when was a DC and DNS, two are Exchanges (different roles), etc... Oh the fun trying to, at first, figure out why we would have the occasional issue with accessing stuff :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security