Virtual Machine 2007

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jamie 1, Feb 23, 2011.

1. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi,

Does anyone know if Virtual Machine 2007 can run on Windows vista Home basic.I just can't get it to work. Any Tips please?

Thanks Jamie

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en#Overview

Looks like a no mate...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

However you may be able to run and use VirtualBox instead :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

VPC 2005 will work.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi Bruce,
    Do you know which site I could download VPC 2005. Thanks for your help.

6. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi Bruce,
    I'm trying to download VPC 2005 is that the same as Microsoft virtual server 2005 R2 SP1 -enterprise edition and when I'm trying to install it it says that the host operating system doesn't support it. Can you please guide me because i'm trying to get any virtual machine installed on my system which is windows vista home basic and work towards my MCDST. But I'm not having any joy installing any of these virtual machines. Thanks in advance for your help.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, Virtual Server is not the same as Virtual PC. There is no VPC 2005; there is a Virtual PC 2004 and a Virtual Server 2005: link

Virtual PC 2007 SP1 supports Vista Home Basic as a host with a hotfix: link

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sorry I meant VPC 2004.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi Bruce,
    I downloaded Vbox and can't get it to work. I mean I know you have to mount an ISO file but that is by selecting the CD/DVD rom and mount image. But under settings I don't have the CD/DVD rom option, it is not even greyed out, it just is not even there. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

10. Kitkatninja

Have you followed the instructions here? I just installed it and booted up a fresh virtual machine and on boot VirtualBox asked which host drive to use.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. jamie 1

jamie 1 Bit Poster

Hi Ken,
    I did follow the instructions on the screen. When during booting up the Vbox it asked for the drive to be used and i just selected one randomly from the list. Is that not right. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.Thanks

12. Kitkatninja

The one you selected randomly has to match the drive (physical or virtual) that has the CD/DVD in otherwise you won't be able to use it.

-Ken