Virtual lab setup

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Taita, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Hey there,

I'm using the trials of VMWare and various MS products to make a lab on my work PC.

What I'm after is for any virtual machines to be able to talk to each other obviously. And for any internet traffic to go through one box (which will be running ISA eventually). Internet access can wait for now.

I'd like to setup DHCP on my DC, so that all addressing is done through that rather than VMware assigning IP's when its on vmnet01 etc. Also, will sharing folders work if it is on vmnetXX?

What is the best way of doing this? I understand this is a bit of a scatterbrain post, but if you need any more info please shout :)

EDIT: One important thing is that my work PC is connected to our own AD domain, so ideally it would be entirely separate from that, but with net access through one route if possible.

Regards
    T

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), what you're trying to achieve would be best done separate from your AD domain and network. I take it you'd agree that a test lab would make sense and it if breaks then no ones head is on the line, not literally though:).

Joke apart, I would setup a virtual test lab and make the DC installed with DHCP to use for IP allocation and lastly add member servers and start playing. I personally prefer VMWare server and it's free too, but sure Virtual PC is just as good.

Lets know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

Yeah ideally I'd like it separate but I'm one of the IT bods who has scored a high powered machine :)

What setup would you recommend on the network side? For the DC, can I bridge it with the host PC? Then the rest of the member servers can be on vmnet01?

Or, can I just turn DHCP off in VMWare, and run everything on a vmnet0X? And not worry about net access on the test network?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally would bridge it and take it from there, just a preference as other vm's can be member servers. Just give a try as you'd nothing to lose but all to gain. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell