Virtual Box not liking 64bit ISOs

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by shadowwebs, Dec 10, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have added the iso for a Server 2008 r2 to my virtual box, and tried to boot for the first time but getting the error as below

"VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot."

The CPU in my machine is 64bit so it should work fine, any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

for info, the motherboard I am using at home is: http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#specifications
    and the motherboard at work is just the basic that comes with the HP Compaq 6005 pro

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Have you got it enabled in BIOS?
    see here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51827
    (not exactly same issue). Virtualbox forum is a good resource for clues

3. shadowwebs

Just tried it in VMWare Player and its working fine without any problems, all I can think is its a problem within Virtual Box for compatibility

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Any reason you weren't running Player to start with?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. shadowwebs

I've always used Virtual Box as that's the one I started with and have kind of got stuck to, but I am fast moving away from that area now.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always used Virtual Box as that's the one I started with and have kind of got stuck to, but I am fast moving away from that area now.