virgin modems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve_p1981, Feb 24, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I have virgin supplying me my TV phone and broadband connection. It all comes from the same little white boxthey installed in my house and they also supplied a wireless modem. The standard one has a BNC connector and the wireless doesn't. Is it a case of using an adsl filter on my phone jack (which is part of the box that supplies the broadband) or do i need to get a crossover ethernet cable and run the 2 modems together (seems a bit silly)?

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

you need a coax lead coming from your wall to the modem then a patch cable to the wireless router :D

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Yup, chuck the coax into the modem, and a standard ethernet cable into wireless modem - that'll do it :)

Did they not set it up for you? they usually do it when you get the line installed, when they fitted mine they setup the whole lot and just asked me to set a wifi password

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i think you can select them to install it or self install, im pretty sure i installed mine myself :D

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ah right, both times they've been out they've automatically installed it all and configured!

My parents house is still running on the original Motorola cable modem, which i begged them to upgrade for me when i had 56k so i could get a 30 ping on counter strike :D that modem's gotta be at least 12 years old now lol

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

haha 56k i remember them days! used to spend hours trying to connect to some free isp cos my mum was tight! lol

7. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

they didn't offer to install the wireless modem and i don't see the point running 2 modems to do one job essentially i have the coax cable running into the back of the standard box. I wonder is there are any wireless routers about that have a BNC connector in the back. there must be something available.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  8. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i used to have a wireless modem/router for tiscali but that run thru the phoneline so dunno if it was different

9. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

think this may do the job

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Virgin-Cable-Routers/buy-BELKIN-300N-WIRELESS-CABLE-ROUTER-Virgin-Cable-Router/521620?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-_Virgin_Cable_Routers-_-521620_BELKIN_300N_WIRELESS_CABLE_ROUTER&_$ja=tsid:8360%7Ccc:%7Cprd:300N+WIRELESS+CABLE+ROUTER%7Ccat:_Virgin_Cable_Routers

:D

10. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

You can only connect Virgin Media supplied hardware to their network. Connecting anything else is against their terms and, I think, illegal (iirc the laws around cable are quite strict, and this is actually a criminal offence).

For years they've provided a modem and an option wireless router. If you see 'Cable Router' advertised anywhere, it'll be one with a RJ45 port for connecting to a modem.

However, Virgin have recently started offering (on their 30/50/100Mbps DOCSIS3 service) a modem with built in wireless router. Unfortunately, they've yet to introduce bridging (they're waiting for Netgear to provide a firmware update), so running a more traditional 'Cable Router' in front of the real 'Cable' router is going to be unpleasant.

You seem to have a cable modem with a F-Connector/Coax jack and an RJ45 port as well as a Virgin supplied 'Cable Router'. You'll need to have the one connected to the other or connect the modem directly to your PC. Your telephone has nothing to do with the cable broadband as far as your concerned.

:biggrin

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Really? So you can't connect your laptop and PC to the network? :biggrin

To the OP, as said already, my bro uses Virgin bband and he just patched this Netgear box into the supplied cable modem - happy days.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...CNBmTb60McyWhQejnv35DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQ8wIwBA#

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

:oops: make that directly to their network!

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

hee hee! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. NeedMoreSleep

NeedMoreSleep Bit Poster

Just keep an eye out with the wireless router they provide you with, I've the Netgear N router provided by Virgin and I swear the DHCP service drops on it just about every day, I've appled the latest firmware and I only have about 3 machines on my home network so it's not as if I'm overloading it with DHCP requests. In the end I gave up and gave every device on my network a static IP, a bit old school but at least it works.

Yeah as mentioned above, wall to modem is a BNC connection and then from Modem to Router standard RJ45 cable. I know in the past if you only had one line in from outside that went to your Virgin TV box, you then had to connect your modem to your Virgin TV box via a x-over cable, then again that was about 4 years ago.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: MCITP:Enterprise Admin
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just curious... is a virgin modem one that hasn't ever had any bits passed through it? :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Apparently lots of people are reporting problems with the new "super hubs".

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009