Virgin Broadband restriction

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by twizzle, May 9, 2007.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Found this on the register :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/08/vigin_nationwide_throttling/

I can't say i'm surprised. Won't belong before others follow suit.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I had wondered why my Virgin connection seems cack most of the time now. :rolleyes:

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. mbr2

mbr2 Bit Poster

Since Virgin.Net became Virgin Media & NTL joined forces for one (un)happy family the service has started to go down hill, slow(er) speeds, longer to connect & even longer to get customer service! But it's been on the cards for a long time & there is nothing we can do about it as in the T&C it states that Virgin can change the rules!

Thinking of going to Sky Broardband, are they any good?

Certifications: ECDL & A+
    WIP: CCNA
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think my connection has improved after the last couple of months.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

I say fair enough to Virgin Media, although im not happy about it i realise it could be a lot worse, capping and cutting me completely off for example

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  6. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

My connection speed has gone downhill as well. Seriously looking at Sky packages after this and the loss of their basic channels.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I was appalled by the whole 'virgin' thing.

I had the TV, Internet and Phone with them for years, then they lose sky one, which i was irked at, but it wasn't the end of the world. Then they start a campaign of 'We have more movies than sky' as though it makes up for losing the a channel that most people think of when they go for digital TV (Excluding freeview of course). But of course, those movies they are talking about are PPV.

Now these broadband restrictions. Basically, im getting dial up speed on a 4 meg line it seems when the restrictions kick in.

Now I'm with BT, SKY and... uhm, sorting Tiscali. I'm no longer a virgin......customer. :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Dont jump yet:ohmy

Sky reliabilty depends on several things, how far you are from the exchange, what package is available etc.. I've had Sky Connect since last September with a few issues, being patient seems to resolve them.

It's £5 per month for anything up to 8Mbps, which is where a few people trip up as this rarely happens unless you have an exchange in your back garden, I dont!

Saying that I am 1.5km from exchange and router reports download speed of 7561Kbps, actual speed is nearer 3000Kbps which after rebooting the router seems to either drop to 1000Kbps or shoot up to 6000Kbps:eek: Strange!

Apart from the shaky connection I have no downtime which is important to me.. especialy for a fiver...

Cheers

Gary

WIP: MCSA 2003
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most EVERY provider has restrictions on downloading. Look carefully at their Terms of Service... most have the ability to cap you for downloading/uploading an exceptional amount of data.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I know a few people well 4 to be exact who have switched to SKY one from AOL one from Virgin and two fron Tiscali and they all say SKY is sh** and wish they hadnt changed.

I am with AOL and I am very happy with the service so far

I would avoid talk talk one of my mates is on it and he says in the small print of their contract with the customer they can access your pc at anytime they wish to see what you are doing, thats seem very dodgy to me.

Also a freind went onto pay as you go braodband with Tiscali and his line speed dropped dramatically from 2meg to 512k I think that they put him on some sort of priotising scheme. So he now wants to change.

Aol took 12 days from the day I applied to the day I received my router which I was impressed with pluss no download limit and 1st month free, I would recommend them

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Is this what the terms and conditions state?
    The ISP will always be able to see the traffic "to and fro", but I doubt they have the time or need to access the data on your machine. In any case, that is hacking in my book.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. greenbrucelee

Yes my mates says its in the terms and conditions, I would also says thats hacking its also an invasion of privacy

13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Good to see im not the only AOL fan here, Ive been with them since 98 and havent had a problem yet, although i do avoid their software.

My next door neighbour is currently in the process of switching from dial up to broadband with talk talk, so i think il point this out to him.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. greenbrucelee

I wont use any of the AOL BB software either only if I have a technical enquiry or billing issue which I did today as I was'nt sure if my first bill would be more than the 14.99 which It is but not much more.

My mate went with talk talk cos thats who he pays his phone bill to but he says as soon as the contract is up he will swith to another ISP + he says the customer service is shi* too

15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive already mentioned to him that they were one of the worst ISPs according to watchdog, but he is joining for exactly the same reason as your mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. greenbrucelee

i am with talk talk for the phone also but after seeing the problems my mate has had I have gone with AOL even though Talk Talk would work out cheaper.

Sometime paying a little bit more gets you a better quality of service. BTW my mate had to wait 1.5 months before he got his modem and adsl connection

17. BosonMichael

Please surrender your Techie Card to the authorities as soon as possible. Otherwise, we will be forced to track you down and shred it ourselves. :police

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. BosonMichael

You too... out of the Techie Pool! :police

19. greenbrucelee

I am not a techie........YET:D

20. BosonMichael

And you won't be, as long as you keep using AOHell. :twisted: