Viewing pictures in Word documents

Discussion in 'Software' started by tdooley, Jul 3, 2007.

1. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

I've been trying sort out a user's problem at work. She's unable to view some pictures that she has inserted into Word 2003 documents. Some of the pictures appear ok but not all. I've gone through the suggestions in Knowledge Base e.g. ensuring the Content.mso folder is in her profile and permissions are set correctly (KB897693) as well as turning off the Update links on save (KB825772). A colleague in IT was able to view the pictures ok when he opened the Word docs on his PC from the drive where users save there work.

Any ideas?

Tony

WIP: MCDST, then start on MCSA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Probably the Intel 82915G/82910GL chipset.

We've got this issue on our standard build at work - they were shipped with the cruddy old driver and hardware acceleration bumped up to the max.

There are two resolutions - get the latest drivers or, for a quick fix, bring up the properties of the display and slide Hardware Acceleration down to a lower level - experiment until the problem disappears and keep it at that level.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I adjusted the hardware acceleration. When I viewed the user's file on the network drive logged on as administrator the pictures appeared ok. But when the user was logged on as herself the problem reoccurred. I've also updated the display driver from Dell's website. Machine is a Dell GX270.
    Thanks
    Tony

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Create a new profile for her. That should solve your problem - it won't resolve the issue she is experiencing, but you could spend days trying to figure out what's causing it, and giving her a new profile will resolve it in 30 seconds flat :biggrin

In my experience, issues like this frustrate end users - they don't give a monkeys how clever you've been in investigating, devising and implementing a solution - they just want their computer to work! You're better off just taking the obvious step - unless the problem is starting to occur on more than one workstation, in which case you may have a wider problem on your hands.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

Created a new profile. problem still exists. Yet it was ok when she logged on to other machines but not all. We're probably going to do a rebuild (Windows etc)

Cheers
    Tony