Viewing contents of dhcp.mdb

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Sep 12, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Howdy

Hope someone can help - I've postyed this on various groups but not had anything approaching a useful response!

I'm running a small W2K/W2K3 domain at home and would like to take a peek at the DHCP database (not because I have a problem with it, it all runs smoothly and has done for 18 months - I'm just nosy!).

I've stopped the service on my DHCP server, copied the .mdb file to a different box and restarted the service on the server again without incident (yay me!)

However, I can't open the copied DB in Access - I suspect this is because it uses the Jet format?

Is there a way for me to either copy the contents of the db to a
    'bona-fide' access database, or another way for me to read the contents (via a third party Jet DB utility or using something similar to the eseutil for Exchange, perhaps?)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not sure if this is of any help to you?

May give you some alternative routes to try.

Just a question though, Why do you want to see the database's contents? Curiosity? Or just to see if it is possible? :blink

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It looks pretty good - the ability to export to another DB might give me what I need. I'm balking at the price though, since (to answer your second question) I only really need it because I want to take a peek at the records in my DB.

At work we're investigating moving toward a DHCP appliance which records all DHCP lease information (and anything else related to HDCP logging) to a SQL db for compliance purposes (you can imagine how anal police forces are when it comes to this sort of thing). We don't actually use DHCP at the moment, every single PC has a statically assigned IP address because of legacy issues relating to old UNIX-based systems that record all sorts of stuff related to the IP address of the box the term emulation program is running on - but we want to move towards DHCP if we can.

If I can have a look at the structure of the DHCP db, it might give me a heads-up on either being able to knock up a VB app myself or, at the very least, let me understand the structure of the logging information in the db prior to porting across to a SQL server back end.

At present, I can take a peek through the daily log files that DHCP creates before it scrapes them into the dhcp.mdb jet file, but have no way of recording those files for posterity

Basically, I'm just being nosy:biggrin

4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

You can also use netsh to view/export the info, though perhaps not in database format.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cheers Omni

I'd already thought about doing that, but not sure how netsh would let me export it - can I just export to a csv do you know?

Zeb